1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mid range frequency static noise in active bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gunai, Dec 22, 2016.

1. gunai

gunai

Dec 22, 2016
    Greetings,

I'm a novice bass player and over the past few days my bass started producing a frequent but inconsistent static noise which I haven't heard before.

Recording of the static noise.
    Recorded with very high gain and then amplified since it doesn't record at nearly the volume I hear it, hence the higher frequency 'usual' static.

This isn't caused by the cable I'm using or the recording device, since the noise only occurs with the specific instrument plugged in. Nor is it caused by a dead battery, current battery is about a month in use and the noise continued occurring with two other batteries, both new.

I'm guessing that it's something to do with the battery wiring in my bass, but before I pop it open or take it to a tech I figured it's best I ask people with a bit more experience.

As importantly as the possible cause: Is this a common static noise?

edit:
    Bass in question is an Ibanez SR300EL, plugged into Steinberg UR22ii.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Weird - I know I've heard that sound. I think I had something like that, that was an intermittent grounding connection problem somehow, but I don't recall solving it, like it maybe just went away. It sounds microphonic, though not sure how that's possible. Can't quite identify it.

3. gunai

gunai

Dec 22, 2016
    It does indeed very much sound microphonic. If I crank up the gain and scratch the strap button then I can very audibly hear the sound I'm producing picked up by the pickups. Same goes for light taps on the Bass's body. I'm going to guess that this is also unusual.