Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mid-range Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Apr 21, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i know those Spectors are kind of a high-end bass (Nino must have sold his kids), and until recently i'd kind of ignored them as those damn Warwicks kept catching my eye. now i was just wondering if it was possible to pick up any decent Spector without having to pay upwards of a grand (i'm in Australia, mind). also, what do they sound like ? are they fast to play on ? do they rumble ? nice slap sound ? i've never played on one, i'm just going by the massive amounts of positive feedback for these basses i've found on TB. thanks for any help yas can give :)

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    There is the NS2000 Series.

The NS2000/4 and the NS2000/5 are Neck-Thru Carved Body Basses, retail around one grand.

The NS200Q4, Q5, Q6 Series are Bolt-On Basses, and they aren`t that great, but retail for less.

David

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Davo, is that the american price you quoted ? the NS2000/4 is *exactly* the spector i've been considering ! if the american price is about $1000, what would they cost in Australia ? probably double :(
    what's up with the bolt-on equivalents ?

4. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi,

okay, lets explain that.

The NS2000/4 is the Neck-Through Version of the NS2000Q4. That means a typical Spector instrument, Neck Thru Body, Maple Body (in case of the 2000 with a quilted Maple Top) and it has an ergonomically curved design. This means that the bass body is not built straight like for example a Fender J, it is build in a curve, so that it fits "around" your body.

The Q Series is essentially the same but WITHOUT the curved body design and the neck thru design. It´s build bolt on and has a basswood body. Its cheaper to.

But I would recommend going with the NS2000/4. It sounds and plays great and for the price, you can`t ask for more.
    Especially if you compare it to the NS2000Q4 the NS2000/4 is WAY better. It has a maple body, and it`s ergonomically designed, the Q4 isn`t.

I don´t think they are so expensive in Australia. Over here in germany the NS2000/4 is about 1200 Marks which is around 600 Dollars, so it`s cheaper here. Except the US Series, all the Spectors aren`t that much more expensive anywhere else around the world.

David

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    thanks a lot, david .. :) one more favour, tho ? i don't s'pose you'd have even a rough idea of how much a NS2000/4 would cost over here in Australia ?
    this bass is infesting my every thought ! urgh !

6. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I did a little research on that one, and found a Australian Dealer. Maybe contact them about it:

VENUE MUSIC
    72 Druitt Street
    Sydney NSW 2000
    ph: 61 2 9267 7073
    fax: 61 2 9267 7034

David

7. They "retail" (AKA "list") for $1000 here in the U.S. but they SELL for about $700 or so.

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have noticed that spectors dont have much resail value on ebay you might look there! Dont bother with warwick if you dont want to spend over a grand! Even on ebay they are expensive! I play warwicks and i basically gave my left nut and a kidney for them! Id save up and get the higher end spector! I wasnt crazy about the korean spector!

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    the problem with the dealer you mentioned (that sounded so sketchy hehe :D) is that it's in Sydney .. i don't suppose there's anybody in Melbourne, Victoria that you know of ?? :(