1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mid-range Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Apr 21, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i know those Spectors are kind of a high-end bass (Nino must have sold his kids), and until recently i'd kind of ignored them as those damn Warwicks kept catching my eye. now i was just wondering if it was possible to pick up any decent Spector without having to pay upwards of a grand (i'm in Australia, mind). also, what do they sound like ? are they fast to play on ? do they rumble ? nice slap sound ? i've never played on one, i'm just going by the massive amounts of positive feedback for these basses i've found on TB. thanks for any help yas can give :)

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    There is the NS2000 Series.

The NS2000/4 and the NS2000/5 are Neck-Thru Carved Body Basses, retail around one grand.

The NS200Q4, Q5, Q6 Series are Bolt-On Basses, and they aren`t that great, but retail for less.

David

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Davo, is that the american price you quoted ? the NS2000/4 is *exactly* the spector i've been considering ! if the american price is about $1000, what would they cost in Australia ? probably double :(
    what's up with the bolt-on equivalents ?

4. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi,

okay, lets explain that.

The NS2000/4 is the Neck-Through Version of the NS2000Q4. That means a typical Spector instrument, Neck Thru Body, Maple Body (in case of the 2000 with a quilted Maple Top) and it has an ergonomically curved design. This means that the bass body is not built straight like for example a Fender J, it is build in a curve, so that it fits "around" your body.

The Q Series is essentially the same but WITHOUT the curved body design and the neck thru design. It´s build bolt on and has a basswood body. Its cheaper to.

But I would recommend going with the NS2000/4. It sounds and plays great and for the price, you can`t ask for more.
    Especially if you compare it to the NS2000Q4 the NS2000/4 is WAY better. It has a maple body, and it`s ergonomically designed, the Q4 isn`t.

I don´t think they are so expensive in Australia. Over here in germany the NS2000/4 is about 1200 Marks which is around 600 Dollars, so it`s cheaper here. Except the US Series, all the Spectors aren`t that much more expensive anywhere else around the world.

David

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    thanks a lot, david .. :) one more favour, tho ? i don't s'pose you'd have even a rough idea of how much a NS2000/4 would cost over here in Australia ?
    this bass is infesting my every thought ! urgh !

6. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I did a little research on that one, and found a Australian Dealer. Maybe contact them about it:

VENUE MUSIC
    72 Druitt Street
    Sydney NSW 2000
    ph: 61 2 9267 7073
    fax: 61 2 9267 7034

David

7. They "retail" (AKA "list") for $1000 here in the U.S. but they SELL for about $700 or so.

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have noticed that spectors dont have much resail value on ebay you might look there! Dont bother with warwick if you dont want to spend over a grand! Even on ebay they are expensive! I play warwicks and i basically gave my left nut and a kidney for them! Id save up and get the higher end spector! I wasnt crazy about the korean spector!

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    the problem with the dealer you mentioned (that sounded so sketchy hehe :D) is that it's in Sydney .. i don't suppose there's anybody in Melbourne, Victoria that you know of ?? :(