Mid-scoop or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Dec 29, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Just curious to know about the preferred amp settings in this area. As I've said other times, I used to scoop my mids since that kind of tone is what tropical music bands crave for, but I stopped using that "contour" button when I noticed that this gives more definition to my playing in a band context and really helps to cut through the mix. Still get some weird looks from bandmates sometimes and I hate that because they judge the sound of the instrument just by how it sounds alone (how can I make these stupid guys to understand that it's a totally different thing??). Of course, mid scooping gives sort of a more "hi-fi" -pleasant- tone, but again I feel it's not the best for a band situation. I'm not a mids freak either, but I really enjoy knowing that not being stingy with the mid frequencies really helps to create a good recipe in what constitutes a good bass tone to me. Thanks for your input!
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    isn't this a duplicate post? if your looking for your old thread click "my talkbass" and choose to look at "view all subscribed threads" and look for your other post on this subject...
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

you're not likely to change anybody's mind unless it's a suck knob kind of thing. People get accustomed to certain things (espeicially musicians) and you're not likely to alter anything ingrained.

There are lots of tones that will work to any given song and are just different and to me put a nice twist on a song and break up the sameness. But I like Pink Floyds "Money" to a Reggae beat. Most people want to hear live versions sound like recorded ones and you have to get way different or the natural inclination is for people to compare it to the the original.

Probably more your own choice between a tone and the looks.