Mid-scoop or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Dec 29, 2005.

1. Yes, I like it

2. I never use that freaking contour button

3. Still thinking about it

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Sorry if this was posted before (couldn't find it). Also feel unsure about if this is the right place to post this.

Just curious to know about the preferred amp settings in this area. As I've said other times, I used to scoop my mids since that kind of tone is what tropical music bands crave for, but I stopped using that "contour" button when I noticed that this gives more definition to my playing in a band context and really helps to cut through the mix. Still get some weird looks from bandmates sometimes and I hate that because they judge the sound of the instrument just by how it sounds alone (how can I make these stupid guys to understand that it's a totally different thing??). Of course, mid scooping gives sort of a more "hi-fi" -pleasant- tone, but again I feel it's not the best for a band situation. I'm not a mids freak either, but I really enjoy knowing that not being stingy with the mid frequencies really helps to create a good recipe in what constitutes a good bass tone to me. Thanks for your input!
  2. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Scooping the mids gives a great sound if you are rehearsing alone but it doesnt work in a live situation. My live setting is mostly enhancing 160Hz and 2Kish depending on the room .
  3. Nah, I never scoop my mids. As you said above, mids are what give it some definition and really add to the PUNCH factor. My main bass is a fender jazz, and I boost my low mids. I back off on the high mids some, because I don't really like the sound of them. I keep bass and treb flat on my amp, and I just tweak them to whatever I feel necessary on my bass itself.
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess I run with my mids scooped somewhat and I love the sound. BTW, it is still clear and cuts through the mix with no problem.

I use the Preshape 1 on my Trace RAH350SMX but don't use the preshape on my QuatraValve. Some rigs will sound better scooped, some won't.

I think it all depends on your total rig and you.
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Mids are your friend. Its why I love parametric EQ's so I can be selective about What mid freqs I may want to cut. (Usually around 1.5-2.0 khz for slapping)
  6. Fieldy called, and said that this thread should be scooped....
  7. My tone has a lot of mids and cut through fairly well. but it's also pleasant when playing alone. If some persons give you weird looks because they don't like your tone at all it may be time to rethink your eq settings. Keep in mind I have not heard your tone and I cannot really judge but your Eq setting might be i little to extreme.
  8. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill

That made me chuckle.
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Oh, no. Again, I don't like that honky tone either (unless I'm playing some Jaco). I just try to get a balance between the frequencies. In fact, younger, more open-minded musicians here always tell me that they really like my tone (specially after getting my Bongo). Problem is that musical styles like Salsa and Merengue always feature a really scooped bass sound and old musicians here can't understand that it may be OK for a DJ, but it's different in a live band.

My point is: I always look for definition aside from power. Old musicians here think that the bass should only be heard through the subwoofers in a PA system. Some of them never allow the bass to sound through 10" speakers, for instance :spit: . That's a very wrong approach in my opinion and I always fight against that.
  10. I am absolutly with you on the definition thing. But I don't play salsa I more into indy rock and things like that so I don't really have to deal with old farts that think their way is the absolute only way possible to do something (unfortunatly a lot of older people tend to think like that and not only in the music biz). I like my tone defined. a possible solution would be a switchable outboard preamp that way you could dial in a scooped tone for some songs and switch it off whwn you need a more defined tone... :bassist:
  11. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You hafta have some mids. IMO, anyway. It helps give the bass clarity and definition. I saw the fieldy post earlier and had a chuckle as well! Anyway, his sound is all rumble and clicks to me.
  12. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Can you get away using a scooped tone if you have bucket loads of power to send it out? Instead if cutting through your pushing through with sheer power.

Personally I have my mids boosted a bit and have certain low mids boosted as well that seem to add a nice lowness but also lt me cut through.
  13. +1
    However, I'm weird. I have the graphic on as well, and set 330 & 660 Hz @ 0dB, while boosting 180Hz (helps to get some clipping out of my solitary valve).
  14. Alvaro, you are playing a Bongo. You have to have mids. I scoop the mids for practice at home because I like the way it sounds, but I bring them up for gigs. If I scooped the mids and boosted the bass I would need 1200 watts to be heard. Wait.... you have 1200 watts. :hyper:

Seriously, I think you have to have mids to be heard well in a band setting. By the way, that email with the clip was 9 mebabytes and took me 2 hours to download. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I will over the weekend.
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My GK Backline 600 has a moderately scooped contour when the tone controls are all centered and the "contour" turned down. But I found that I can dial in a flat contour if I want.

I like more mids, so I get my best tone by using the flat contour as a starting point.
  16. I keep my Bass and Mids at about 1:30, and My treble at about 10:30. Scooping mids hollows out my sound, and that is BAD!

17. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You have to understand the human ear. Sure, you can power your way through with that, but all people will hear is a rumble and fret click. You have to have a certain amount of mids if you really want to cut through. Pay attention to how the rest of the band sounds, and find your mid niche. You ever hear a bass with distortion? Not the overly distorted muddy kind, but the kind that kinda just kicks you in the face? The distortion adds mids to it, and that's why it cuts through so well. It's the throat of the bass.
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If I'm playing jazz or blues where it's about the driving thump, tis scooped for me.

For rock or anything modern where I really need to cut through guitars, mid boost for me.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Depends on the instrument, depends on the amp, depends on the speakers, depends on the style of music I'm playing, depends on my mood when I get to the gig that evening. :)

but I usually boost mids.....
  20. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Remember also, a midscoop doesn't imply that you remove all or even most of your mids. It just says that you have your mids lower than your high and low frequencies.

Just because you scoop your mids also does not imply that you sound like Fieldy! :scowl: