1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mid-Shy Preamp + Mid-Focused Cabinet =

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    What tonal combination, exactly? All things being equal, do they effectively cancel each other out, or does the preamp win out as it is the more dominant element of the chain?

Let the debate begin!!!

Lonnybass

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You can't make something out of nothing. Whichever has the more extreme frequency response curve will 'win'.

Alex

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

I beg to differ Alex. My ex used to complain ALL THE TIME about me making something out of nothing.

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :p

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You already have an F1X and a Schroeder 1210, and you're asking us?:cool:

I actually found the Fender tone stack to work quite nicely with my 1210, and still do with my AG Tri112L. Scoop may be a dirty word on TB, but it works very well in small-ish doses for many situations in the real world IME.

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Scoop? HE SPEAKETH WITH THE DEVILS TONGUE, BURN HIM, BURN HIM.

Nah, I agree, when used reasonably, it can have its place.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Hell I always run a scoop. Generally a mild one... It's just part of my sound...

Funny - I've never met a mid shy preamp ...

8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Good call! The reason I ask is that I have been giving much more thought lately to how all aspects of the signal chain influence each other as a recipe and can be pieced together to form a truly usable system. Coming from the world of Acme's, the mid response was definitely much different and it has been interesting to hear how different my F-1x sounds than it does through my 1210 x 2 rig.

Lonnybass

PS Yep, scoop can be good...but I have a 4-band parametric EQ in the rack for extra flexibility. :)

9. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I'd say this is the most common combination. Old school cabinets are usually "mid-focused" i.e. lacking in high-highs and low-lows so many preamps have traditionally been designed with a natural scoop. Even GK, which many believe not to be scooped (without the contour on) has a cut around 400hz. Mesa, fender, alembic, swr, yamaha and many others have followed the bass 2, mid 10, treble 2 = flat design.

Yeah it works. I prefer more mids but it appears that many do not.