Mid-song breakdowns, over-the-top/blown out basslines; what are you using?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by _Some Dude, Jan 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    Some of the songs I'm covering (R&B/Neo-Soul) have a breakdown in the middle where the bass basically blows out for 4-8 bars (not sure how else to describe it).

I've tried achieving this with a Swollen Pickle, but it's not doing it for me. By the time I get it to produce the "big, blown out/overloaded bass" effect I want the sub-lows are over the top, and when I dial back the sub-lows to where I want them the pedal looses the "big, blown out/overloaded bass" effect that I want.

Sometimes I add in an OC-2 for a synth thing, but I need it to work on it's own.

I've been chasing my own tail with this for a week now. Every time I find I setting I like, the next time I use it I hate it. At this stage I figure it's a sign.

To get through I'm using a BDDI as a distortion pedal for the time being. Drive wide open, blend around 1:30. It's getting the job done and the BDDI's EQ is really helpful for getting it to sit where I want, but it's a little too polite (not enough saw-tooth).

Anyway... looking for options/opinions.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    If I'm feeling super rude, I click the BOOST switch on my Rusty Box.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    MXR Bass Distortion. Sometimes I combine it with an Animato clone, but the Animato is out of control and very fussy, and I have to work with it on my own a little more before I trot it back out with the band.

4. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NYC
    Sounds like a perfect job for a DOD Meatbox!

CapnSev, cataract and Bunch O Numbers like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    First of, an example of a song that has a "breakdown blowout" would be helpful.

Second, it seems like you might want something with a clean blend. It anchors a lot of effect tones mainly for EQ purposes. You don't lose anything from the effect and only gain whatever the pedal is doing for you.

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Envelope filter driven by a dirty boost.

7. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    What about a gated fuzz like Mastotron or Magnetar?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022