Middle Eastern Elements! Help!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Ok. I really want to incorporate Middle Eastern melodies and rythyms, and I know more of the former (Phrygian scale, harmonic minor scale, Mohammedan, etc.) than the latter. Can anyone help me out? Much much thanks!
  2. You could get a fretless and play some microtones. Or a a bass fretted in quarter tones. :eek:

More practically, you should listen to Middle Eastern music and emulate it. That's the way to learn any style.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Bingo. Some good artists to check out are Simon Shaheen, Thimar, Rachid Taha, and Dania.
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    like G 1/4, G 1/2 (=#), G 3/4, A

5. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I seem to recall Sting was influenced by middle eastern sounds for a while.
  6. I'm not sure that clears anything up. :confused:

A microtone is basically any note which isn't part of the standard chromatic scale. If you bend a note up so that it falls right between the note you started on and the next note up, then you've raised it a quarter tone. It's a quarter of a whole step. Other notes are possible too, since you can move that note as much or as little as you want.

EDIT: Previously, when I said it was more practical to listen to music, I meant it was more practical than buying the new gear I mentioned, not more practical than playing microtones. They're a big part of many Middle Eastern styles, and playing them is as easy as bending a note.
  7. Thanks for the help, people! But do you know of any web pages that have simple rythm charts for Middle Eastern rythms? I've been able to use Cuban clave charts in the past to make up basslines.. :hyper: :help: :bassist: