1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Middle finger cramp

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stormer, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    I am seeking some advice or opinions, or both.

I played a gig last weekend in a small bar and didn't find out until the very last minute that the house bass amp wasn't working.
    Had I known earlier I would have just brought an amp with me, but the sound guy assured me it would be ok as he could just DI into the PA.
    As usual in these situations the bass was not loud enough and I had to play harder than usual. Couple this with the fact that our drummer decided he was going to play everything faster than usual, my middle finger (plucking hand) started to cramp and go stiff very quickly. No-one seemed to notice due to the lack of volume but it really p*ssed me off as it was my first gig with this band and I had spent a lot of time working out suitable bass lines.

Prior to playing I did warm up (a bit) and I was prepared for the songs to be faster than usual but I was hoping someone could suggest some effective warm up techniques/ strength exercises so this doesn't become a problem in the future.
    I usually play with quite a light touch and the bass lines are quite intricate.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    It seems that this was a one off problem due to unforeseen circumstances. Have you ever experienced this cramping before ? As you normally play with a light touch, I dont see any problems in the future, unless something similar happens. Rest the hand for a day or so. Here are some clips on warming up :

Staying well hydrated helps to prevent cramping, as does eating a good meal an hour or two before a gig.

3. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    I have experienced it a couple of times in the past, but its always been in situations where i wasn't happy with the sound.
    If i play through my own rig i never have the problem.

Getting wound up an anxious probably doesn't help either !

Cheers for the links.