Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

middle finger leading

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mxbassman, Sep 7, 2005.

1. mxbassman

mxbassman

Sep 7, 2005
    North Dakota
    Does anyone else lead with their middle finger instead of their index finger? I wanna know if other people do this or if i'm just weird. It feels natural for me to lead with the middle finger and it just feels awkward to lead with the index like most people do.

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I've always played middle finger first. but there are sometimes when i use just my index finger

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    In my case it just depends on what I am playing. Sometimes middle, sometimes index.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What exactly do you mean by lead? I usually pluck with my middle finger first on my right hand because its the longest of the three and easier to dig in with, 9/10 times I want to dig hardest on the downbeat.

On my right hand I keep all 3 fingers pretty busy.

5. mxbassman

mxbassman

Sep 7, 2005
    North Dakota
    What i mean is you pluck with your middle finger first. Middle finger-index-middle-index etc...

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dave LaRue leads with his middle finger a lot of the time.

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Well, you should be able to lead with both fingers?

8. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Emm, I don't think this question has any practical value... IMO it doesn't matter what is your leading finger as long as is sounds good :) Personally I lead with index or ring finger (playing with 3 fingers) and it happens pretty randomly...

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yes!
    When practicing your right hand technique you should change things up so that both(or all)of your fingers are interchangable, this way you will be equally comfortable with both(or all)options.
    ******IMPORTANT PART!!!*********
    I find some bassists are not aware that their right hand patterns are a bi-product of what they are doing with their left(fretting)hand. When we have difficulty learning a new bassline/pattern, particulary when it includes different harmonic content, much of the pain and suffering comes from our lack of flexibility with our right hand. When BOTH hands have to do something they're not used to at the same time that is generally when frustration sets in and things seem difficult to learn.
    For two fingered players practicing drum patterns is a nice way to break things up(R+L+R+R+L+R+L+L...etc, etc). I would suggest sticking with open strings only for much of the time, this helps to insure that familiar patterns are not bieng fallen into and helps to build independence between our two hands.
    Sorry for the Rant..

10. bass paradiddles? :D

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, I would say it's good to be versatile as to which finger you lead with, but just like drummers who stick with a strictly right or left handed approach vs guys like Billy Cobham who switch off, I don't think it's necessary in order to be a good player.

12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    hhm, if you do a scale run up and down it might happen that you have to lead with all 3fingers... ?

13. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Of course, but I was talking about starting to play some kind of a simple line... Like 5-5-5-5-2-2-2-2-0-0-0-0 etc...
    Anyway as I said, for me it's a pretty random thing

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    But strict alternation is of index & middle fingers is essential? Just playing devil's advocate here, it seems to me that if one is going to advocate using strict alternation, which I dont neccessarily disagree with, one should be firmly on the side of leading equally with either finger as well? :eyebrow:

I mostly lead with my middle finger (ooh err missus), and occaisionally it will run me into problems. So I would say that being able to lead with both, or all three, fingers is pretty important, I know it's something I am conscious of and when I'm playing a tune I know really well I'll try to force myself to lead with the index (or perhaps play with 3 fingers).

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, let's put it this way...if I'm in the middle of a phrase, I wouldn't turn myself around so I could always lead with my index finger, but more often than not, that's the one I lead with. Doesn't seem to hurt my playing any, whereas raking did.

And with that, I have to go fly now. Got a Bowzer gig in Columbus, so anyone from that area, stop by with a fatty!

16. Definatly. I practice those sometimes :D

The faster you can, playing those cleanly, the more dexterity (is that the right word?) you'll have when playing regular patterns. :bassist: