Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

middle finger question?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Hi gang. Today I was given some music to learn at the end of my lesson, and my teacher indtroduced my middle finger for playing, before then thats how I did it, and used it quite often when I play the ironman intro riff, so here goes my question.

Now can I use my middle and index finger while playing the blues scale, and the pentonic scales?

2. you middle finger on your plucking hand??? just alternate between the two

lowsound

3. I thought so, but doesnt that become 8ths and 16ths note?

4. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    they can be whole notes if you do it slow enough - I think every bassist I know uses both finger alternating almost all of the time, and I bet most of the people on this forum do as well

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I find that my index finger gives more of a meaty thud than does my middle finger... especially if i slightly turn my hand and pluck jazz bass style.

So if I can, I usually use my index finger or both fingers at the same time. Of course, when things get even moderately fast, it's time to start two fingering it.

Just wait until you start three fingering! Lots of fun!

6. Ok cool thanks guys, so basicully I can, It just feels more confy that way if I can use my middle finger every other note.