Middle Names: Do They Matter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
  2. No

3 vote(s)
  3. They're stupid (can be a yes/no)

1 vote(s)
  4. Carrots matter!

4 vote(s)
  1. Do middle names matter? What do you think of them? Is there any sort of sentimental value in them? Are they just a name? Are they worthless? Do you like yours? Do you hate yours?

Mine is Gregory, the name of my father, but biologically my stepfather.
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I like 'em, seein' as I go by mine!

(And I hate my first name anyhow :p)
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My little brother's middle name is Cole, which means "follower of Nicholas". I think its cool :)
  4. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Some people such as myself go by their middle name, so yes, they are pretty important. It's also a good chance to insert a name that may have some meaning, but is not one you would want your child to use.

edit-Gard got his in before mine. Sorry to be rundundent.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The only time my middle name mattered to me was when my dad would call it out along with my first name when he was looking for me. When he came looking for Michael Lee, I knew I was in trouble.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Kind of an interesting, almost contradiction.

a middle name is useful for being an optional name for the child to go by and/or it is a way to add a little special meaning to their name that you wouldn't necessarily want them to go by :)
  7. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    They matter a lot when you have a fairly common name. There are several James Martin(s) at the company I work for. A couple of us are constantly exchanging email. A lot of my email that gets directed to one of the other James Martin(s) is highly confidential in nature (future product plans, drawings, financials).

It's crucial that people use my middle initial to address email to me, but many do not.

The funniest (and most potentially damaging) situations I've seen are

1) We had an executive that had all of our engine plant managers reporting to him. He had the same names and similar email account as one of the union committeemen in one of his plants.

2) Our group vice president has the same name and middle initial as a technician in one of the engineering shops. Our IT folks had to add "VP" for Vice President to the vice president's email address so people would stop sending highly confidential stuff to the technician.

James L. Martin ;)
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    My name is Michael, and my father's name is Michael, and his father's name was Michael. The fact that we have different middle names is what seperates my dad from being a Jr. and me from being a The III.

I wish I was a The III. Makes you sound important.
  9. one of my friends' first name is sherwood, and his middle name is austin. i didnt find out his first name until weve been friends for 3 months. he hates his first name, which is also his dads, so he goes by austin. so i guess they can be lifesavers!
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Ditto down to the very last word!!

My first name is Matthew (BLECH--no offense to other Matthew's out there), and my middle name is Ty.

So yes, by God, they matter!:D
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My middle name is Roy, which isn't a very flattering or exciting name on its own merit, but it's my father's middle name as well, as my parents didn't want me to have his first name (who wants to be named Clyde?). So I always use the middle initial R. when I write out my name as he's always done as a way to show my connection with him and his importance to me.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am lucky to have parents who gave me a middle name as good as my first name. Wayne. I wouldn't mind being called Wayne at all. But I am used to Jeff, so Jeff I am.
  13. Well, I know a lot of you are going to think I'm joking.....but seriously, my middle name is Thrasher. No joke.....the story is, my grandfather on my mother's side has a family tradition, that the first born son gets the mother's maiden name as a middle name, hence my middle name being Thrasher.

I'm just curious if anyone else has a "strange" middle name....

Of course, if I ever gave up Bass and went into professional wrestling...I could start going by my middle name.....
  14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Lets see. Stick a male kid with the first name "Casey"....... now, he just MIGHT be able to get away from people calling him a girl, and/or thinking he is a girl by turning to his middle name.

NOT, so, fast,.....lets give him the middle name.....

yes! let people call him "wart" and various other names! Perfect!

Or, we could just give him the nickname.....POLLY!!!!

Note To Self: Send parents "I hate you" card.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I don't have any middle names - so I suppose I have to say : No!

But seriously, I have never once, for even the slightest little bit, felt deprived because I don't have any!! ;)
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The problem with me is that I'm "a Brendan" there's no other name (aside from the possibility of Paul) that would suit me at at all. People that know me or have met me agree.

So my middle name is just another part of my name that has 7 letters (all three have 7 letters, go figure).
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have two, Anton (Anthony) and Richard, named for my grandfathers, but I never use them except when filling out forms (when required).
  18. For men from the South, they're vitally important--I know of a great many men whose first name is an old family surname or a place, and thus go by their middle name. (E.g., LaSalle Huntington McGillicuddy might go by "Hunt.")

Additionally, for anyone who has a fairly common given name and a common surname, it's important to have your middle name (or at least initial) to distinguish you just that extra little bit.

I'm lucky in that only one other Peter McFerrin can be Googled, and he's probably dead by now.

19. I can whole heartedly agree 100% here...unusual I know, but in this case true.

John Gordon is what I've always been, and I'm quite happy with it!:)
  20. With a name like "Mike Smith" you bet your bottom dollar they're important! :D