Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BHuntsalot, Dec 13, 2004.

1. BHuntsalot

Nov 3, 2004
    I am in the middle of changing out my stock pickups for a set of Seymour Duncan quarter pound jazz pickups. I have got the wiring diagram squared away, its the mounting of the pickup that I am a little confused on. I have the screws but it seems that something should go under the pickups and I have nothing. The only other thing with them was 4 little pieces of rubber tubing. I am putting them in a Fender MIM Jazz bass. Can someone help me as I am stuck right here until I get some help. Thanks
  2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Umm... four little pieces of rubber tubing, eh? On my Acacia there was (is) a piece of rubber tube on each mounting screw, they push the pickup up and the screw holds it down...

perhaps this is what you need?

My pickups are EMGs though...
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Go to your local hardware store and pickup some of the foam weatherstripping that has adhesive on one side. You stick that to your pickup cavity where the pickup will go. You may need to experiment a bit to figure out how think you will need it.
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Either the rubber tubing or the foam weatherstrip will work. I've used them both in various basses.
  5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    If you have an old foam/rubber mousepad, you can cut some strips of it - this works great and you can't beat the price
  6. I did this but with the hot ones. I had the same dilemma, but I just peeled off the foam on the stock ones and stuck it to the back of the new ones. I also used the rubber bits too.

To use the rubber bits, I found I needed to get some masking tape, fold it back on itself so it is a loop, stick it over the holes. Then all you need to do is screw it through the tape. No one knows you have done this because your pups will cover it up.