"Middle-of-the road" strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IotaNet, Dec 27, 2007.

1. I need some quick input.

My Fender Reggie Hamilton is my do it all 4-string. With the P/J config, I dig it like cooked food. :hyper:

I'm not however, happy with the strings it has --they're a little too bright. I need something that is totally "middle of the road." Something that can be dialed down when using the P Pickup or something that can also be brighter when using the J pup.

Think of it this way ...

TI Flats (Total thump)<-------------------- | What I need | -------------------->DR Hi-Beams (Total zing)

For what it's worth, I don't care for D'Addario Chromes. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions.

2. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Shuswap, BC Canada
    SIT Silencers, GHS Pressurewounds, Ken Smith Compressors, or Dean Markley Fretsavers are all strings that should fit that middle ground for you...

3. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Hey Mr. Net!

I'm using Ken Smith Slicks-groundwounds. These are just to the left of center ie the thump zone. Inexpensive, consistant and long lasting (like me!) If you snap them they respond, otherwise they're smooth and thick.

Happy New Year!

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Sets I would try in order if increasing 'zing'

D'Addario Half Rounds
    Elixir coated rounds
    TI SUper Alloy's
    DR Black Beauties

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    TI Superalloys.

6. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    Elixir. To me, they sound like 2 day old strings. (not obnoxiously bright. plus, they stay that way for a looooong time.)

7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Another suggestion for TI Superalloys...

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Fender 7250's. Total middle of the road and great tension to boot.

9. Totally agree. I just bought a set today -- they're exactly what I was looking for!

10. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    CooL! Glad I'm not the only one using these $15 a set strings. They really are perfect for anything except the DR tone.

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'd say either DR Black Beauties (once broken in they have great versatility) or DR Lo-Riders.

12. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I just bought some of these on Friday and played them out Friday night, and love them. I think I found my string!

13. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Try DR sunbeams

14. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021