Middle Son Leaving For South Pole

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AaronS, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Our middle son has been a night foreman at a diesel shop in Fairbanks for the past couple years. He was feeling in a rut recently so yesterday he called Raytheon about Antarctica jobs. They told him that if his references checked out they would fly him to Denver for an interview. They must have been awfully good references because he was hired over the phone today and told him he was going to be the lead heavy equipment mechanic at the South Pole. He sold everything he owns today, except his tools and clothes. At a salary of $250,000, he figures he can replace everything when he returns. I wonder if they need a bass player?
  2. Whoa! That's excellent! Keep us posted!
  3. He is has got to be the highest paid diesel technician in the world!! :D ;)

Then again the extreme cold and high altitude of Antarctica doesn't exactly mix well with heavy equipment. I'm sure he will be a busy boy.

From Alaska to Antarctica? I hear some the places in-between are nice too. Is he a bit of a thrill seeker.
  4. Yeah he is something of a thrill seeker. We raised them climbing, skiing and caving and Ed was always the most adventurous. Three years ago the oldest boy did a stint at McMurdo at the same time Ed went to Alaska, so I figured we must have raised them right. But the South Pole definitely takes the cake. I think he got the job for a combination of reasons ranging from tons of factory training certifications from manufacturers like Caterpillar, Alison and Dana, to having worked on equipment at Prudhoe Bay in the winter. We are really excited for him. But I wonder what he will do for a follow up on this one? He's only 28 and life could get a little boring after this experience.
  5. Wow, congratulations. that sounds pretty cool.. By the way.... What's the gigging situation like at the South Pole? Many places to play? :D

6. do u realize why they pay so high? first off your away from any kind of society, the people you work with our going to be your only friends and enemies. 2nd theres always risk of frostbite, and other health problems. 3rd theres no cable tv in the south pole.
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

But but... there is settilite tv... and lots of hippies... so you will be ok... hippies are good intertainment...

No really... its great down there... lots of clubs... and all those birds that cant fly... and hippies... hippies hippies hippies...

Oh good luck to your kid:D
  8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Send him off by showing him John Carpenter's classic "The Thing."

Maybe after this he could be a diesel technician in Tikrit or Mosul....or Iran...or Jupiter.

brad cook
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Beats the hell out of south Iraq. I think.
  11. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Sounds like an awesome experience. My dad worked down there with the US Coast Guard. I always wanted to go there. But I'm doing some adventuring of my own, I'm slated to go teach English in Russia or China next summer for a year.
  12. That's my reaction too. And how many people can say they spent a work season at the South Pole? I only know one onther person who has been there and I know a lot of people who have been in isolated places due to my climbing background.

The work week is only 54 hours which strikes me as a little strange. What else is there to do other than work? Hopefully, he will be able to take his trumpet for a little entertainment. When he was working at a logging camp on Afognak Island in the Gulf of Alaska, he was putting in 90 hour weeks because there was nothing else to do. I think it is a fantastic opportunity to make a lot of money, provide some financial security for himself and have a unique experience. I spoke with him last night and he said he had sold all his tools ($20,000 worth) because he didn't have time to clean them, spray them down and find storage and that he could be leaving as soon as this weekend.
  13. Hey, that is great Vox! Do it! Some people spend their lives in Walter Mitty fantasies, and some people actually get out and have the unique experiences. I would be torn between Russia and China. I would love to see the Urals and Siberia. OTOH, I think a China experience would be the most valuable for the future.
  14. or in this case, Walter Mitten...

15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Alaska to the South Pole. Now THAT is a commute! Sounds like a real adventure, but tell him to be careful. I saw that the Alien and the Predator have a base underground at the south pole.
  16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Hey that's cool. I lived in the Canadian high arctic for four years. 170 miles from the magnetic North Pole. Had a lot of fun.
  17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I taught for a year in northern China. It was incredible. Be sure and travel as much as possible when you're there. If you travel by train in open sleepers then you can do a lot on a budget.

brad cook
  18. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If this post went absolutely no farther, you'd still be the envy of millions of parents, I'm sure.
  19. Try it again real slow.... whenever anybody says they're moving somewhere, somebody asks about opportunities to gig.....

Antarctica is deserted except for research facilities... there's no gigging opportunities... its a joke, a parody of the std questions asked when somebody is moving somewhere new...

20. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    True, but it's not so bad for a single guy. If he were married it would be a different story.