Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MidEastern Flavored Music..

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 26, 2005.

1. I was wondering if people could suggest some recordings..I'm looking for electric and/or upright stuff (I'll post this in the electric forum too)..

Thanks.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Renaud Garcia-Fons... The man is a monster...

3. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    +1
    Garcia Fons is the man. He really draws the sound of the oud out of his bass. incredible stuff.

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Omer Avital.

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, Jonas Hellborg's "Good People in Times of Evil" is just about as good as you can do for Indian style electric/acoustic (non URB) bass. Shawn Lane also plays some amazing guitar. The precussion work is absolutely beautiful and fits the music. Seriously, this album is great... don't go another day without it.

EDIT: Mideast = middle east... right? India? umm :confused:

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I don't know too much about what mideastern flavored music is supposed to be but throw in my +.01 (+1 adjusted for ignorance) for Garcia Fons too. Incredible technique and rock solid intonation! :bassist:

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The song "Shifting Sands" by Dave Holland definitely has a swank mid-east sound to it. It's on the album "Not for Nothing," which is a great pick anyway. Great melody and bassline (and solo!) to it. Very cool tune.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Also, Charles uh, crap i forgot his last name. He is an ECM artist. A tenor player with some really nice stuff that fits the Bill

Lloyd. Charles Lloyd...

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Speaking of not remembering anybody's name; who's the oud player that's done a buncha records with the pop guys? Oud player? I just looked it up Rhabi Abou-Khalil. I think he has some French records out, duo with a tuba player. WNYC TV was broadcasting a "world jazz" program and had a segment on him; he and this tuba player were doing these killer unison lines, pretty up.

As far as Indian influence, check out some Charlie Mariano.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would recommend an Israeli Sax/Clarinet player/composer called Gilad Atzmon who leads his own Jazz groups which include Middle-Eastern influences. His band has inlcuded all sort of musicians, but I saw him once at my local Jazz club with a septet which included a Palestinian singer(Reem Kelani) , who incoporated traditional Palestinian tunes which are microtonal _Atzmon then improvised around the melodies on Sax and Clarinet, bending notes to get the microtonal intervals - amazing stuff!! :)

This was the album at the time, which won awards in Britain :

[​IMG]

Here's another one with the "Orient House Ensemble" - Jazz fused with Middle Eastern music :

[​IMG]

11. Bruce Lindfield

Err...NO!!

The Middle East is that part of the world that starts in Turkey and is characterised by Lebanon,Palestine, Syria, Israel and then on to the Gulf states.

12. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Glen Moore did a pretty cool recording with an oud player. I found the band to be sort of mediocre, but he (as always) was amazing on it. What was that called?...

Oh look: he's on a bunch. Now, where's that credit card?

13. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    well, Ahmed Abdul Malik comes to mind. He is probably best known for playing with Thelonius Monk but he made lots of great mid eastern influenced music, some of which he played Oud on.
    Francois Rabbaths' album Sazmorphosis fits that description neatly too.
    I'm thinking that the Reform Art Unit made some cool music like that although I can't specifically recollect how big a role the bass had.
    Some of the Brigitte Fontaine and Areski collaborations have nice upright bass on them.
    The Sea Ensemble, with Donald Rafael Garrett.
    And of course Coltrane's middle eastern influenced stuff of the early to mid 60s (some of which had Malik or Garrett on bass).
    Any flamenco influenced player (like Jimmy Garrison), or Irish influenced player should qualify since those styles are largely derived from the middle eastern music brought to those places by the Moors.

14. Bruce Lindfield

There's another Dave Holland tune called "Processional" (on Extensions) which has this kind of feel as well.

His solos there, sounds influenced by Middle Eastern music, but I'm not sure if that was his original intention?

But he has played with Anouar Brahem on a CD which was definitely described as a fusion of Middle East music with Jazz :

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000024ZYP/002-7967595-7550403?v=glance

15. Both Rabih Abou-Khalil and Charlie Mariano can be heard in Abou-Khalil´s title "Blue Camel", which is one of my favourite albums on this side. It also features Kenny Wheeler on fluegelhorn and Steve Swallow on bass. What a great line-up.

R2

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

is the Oud player Farouk Tekbilek ?

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Who are you people and what am i doing here?

Sorry, Deez. It's receded into the haze of the past...

There's some nice Ben Allison stuff too, might want to check that out.

18. Bruce Lindfield

I can remember Ben Allison having a Kora player on his Peace Pipe album - but that's more of an African vibe...?

But I just thought of Avishai Cohen - whose solo albums seems to incorporate elements of Israeli/Jewish and Balkan music - both 'Colors' and 'Devotion' are really good Jazz albums which have a few tracks with these influences - here's a review of Devotion :

"...has a penchant for Middle Eastern- and Sephardic-sounding melodies and textures, which is part of what sets Devotion apart from the crop of more traditional-sounding jazz albums. "The Gift" (dedicated to Corea), for example, starts with a lovely melody based on a traditional Israeli song before lifting off into uncharted territory with Jimmy Greene's soprano saxophone solo, while "Musa" features Amos Hoffman playing the oud and Joshua Levy on nai, an Arabic flute. "

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000IGRM/102-0594890-7574539?v=glance

19. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Super! I am most definately not up to snuff on my geography... :help:

20. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    The context being music rather than geography, I think it is hard to draw the line as to how far east you can consider to be middle eastern. Iraq is obviously in the middle east. The area now known as Pakistan is right next to it and has strong ties, musically and otherwise; you have to almost be an expert to tell whether a given recording is from there or further to the west (unless it is by Nusrat). And then Pakistan also has strong ties to India. You find very similar percussion instruments in all of these areas, and similar poetry, among other things, so I think it is reasonable to let the discussion include everything as far east as northern India where many Muslims live.