Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIDI 7 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by QBass, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Does anyone here have experience using a Rolan GK-2B or compatible MIDI pup on a 7 string bass? I would just try it out if I had a GK-2B, but what I have is a bit more permanent. I just reeceived a GK-KIT-BG divided pickup kit and am considering puting it into my Conklin 7 string. If this is doomed to failure, I will just have to grab a cheap 6 string to Frankensteinify. Thanx for any info!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, get the rmc system, preferably installed by the guys at conklin - they work much better, they add the piezo functionality, and they can tie the lowest two strings together so that all 7 strings trigger sound sources. this is the system i have in 4 of my custom conklin 7 and 8's and i couldnt' be happier. as soon as i contact them i will be refitting my doubleneck and two of my other 7 strings the same way.

www.rmcpickup.com

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Al Caldwell Bassist for venesa Williams uses several Conklin 9 string Basses with a midi system and what he does with it is very interesting.Im sure Conklin can help you with some aspects of what Al uses.I know that Al has a very large Roland Rack setup.

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, al is using the rmc's on his bass too.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    So that's how you get around the annoying fact that most MIDI converter thingys are made for 6-string guitars? I am asking because I am planning to retrofit the RMC piezo set on a Conklin GT-7, and I am still wondering about what piezo preamp I should use. Is it then possible to use the RMC Poly-Drive 1 preamp and hook up seven piezos to it? That would be sweet. (no, I haven't asked RMC about this, mainly because I sill lack the GT-7 on which the piezo pickups will sit..... just thinking ahead, you know....)
    thanks...

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the two lowest piezos would be wired together into the polydrive unit, from what i understand.

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Ah, I understand. Thanks a lot.