Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIDI Bass /Axon controller ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jonesy4fnk, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

MIDI = huh ?

I'm trying to switch patches and even assign patches in my Emu Planet Earth sound module. Normally I'd just hook up my controller (Dig. Music Corp. GXC controller). But my MIDI IN is taken by the output from my Axon AX-100sb converter, which tracks from a Roland pickup on my bass. I can hook the MIDI controller to the IN on the Axon but that changes patches on the Axon not the Emu.

How can I control the Emu through the Axon ?

MIDI gear techs unite !

2. Jonesy4fnk

I think the only way is Jedi mind control.:D

3. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    From what you're describing, it sounds like two solutions are possible.

If you get the Turbo upgrade for the Planet Earth, you will have two Midi In's. This is assuming that the Axon has a Midi Thru and/or Midi Out.

Otherwise, you may want to get a patchbay, such as the Digital Music MX-8. This allows you to patch 6 different inputs to up to 8 outputs. With one device (your Roland pickup on Bass), you can send the signal to two modules. Furthermore, the MX-8 allows you to send command changes. You can control the MX-8 with your Ground Control, or any other midi PC/CC device.

Bad News: Digital Music does not make the MX-8 anymore, so you will have to find it used. While it is not too hard to find, you will have no support. Plus, there are multiple OS's.

Just a couple options.

4. Jonesy4fnk

thanks for the suggestions, I'll check into both.

Is there any kind of option for a MIDI spliter box? Like a 2 MIDI in & 1 MIDI out box? I don't know if that would work.

5. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Check out:
    www.midisolutions.com

I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of other companies that make midi merge boxes (1in 2 out, etc...)

6. Jonesy4fnk

oh yeah I think their merger box will work for me.

Thanks for the tip.