Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midi connections

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Funkateer, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I've got a Layla 24 laptop that has MIDI in/out/thru, a Roland digital piano/synthesizer with in/out/thru, and a Boss DR-670 drum machine with in/out. My general question is how to hook all of this stuff up so that I can use either the piano or Cubasis as a midi controller, and have all of the sounds from the piano and drum machine available. I'd ideally like to also be able to use the drum machine as a midi controller but am willing to sacrifice this if necessary.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok, well basically, you need the MIDI controller to be sending information to whatever is producing the sound.

So, to have Cubase control the piano, you wanna connect the MIDI OUT on the computer to the MIDI IN on the piano. And to connect it to the drum machine, you would connect the MIDI OUT on the computer to the MIDI IN on the drum machine.

To use both the piano and the drum machine - I think this is what you will have to do: connect the MIDI OUT on the computer to the MIDI IN on the piano, and then connect the MIDI THRU on the piano to the MIDI IN on the drum machine.

The idea being that the piano receives the MIDI signal from the computer, and also sends it back out to the THRU port, and thus to the drum machine.

You will need to set up the piano and drum machine so that they only respond to the correct MIDI data - i.e. the piano doesn't play the drum part, and the drum machine doesn't play the piano part.

In MIDI, channel 10 is used for drums - so I suppose what you'll do is to tell the piano not to respond to channel 10, and tell the drum machine only to respond to channel 10.

3. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Thanks, that is very helpful.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No problem :)