1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Midi Content: Boss 500 Series

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Sep 12, 2017.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So I've got the Boss MD and DD500 on board now. I think they're awesome. So far so great.

However, I want to utilize the midi feature on these pedals in unison. But I've never even use midi at all. This is my experience with it. Can anyone make sense of midi to me? I hooked the cable up to the two and I am doing something to both. But there is so many perameters that can change and I know if just one of them is off it won't work. I watched one YouTube video and followed what he did. It's the one with the DD500 and blue sky. But if I switch patches on the DD, it does switch patches on the MD too but it goes way off! Like I have the MD patch 99, I switch the patch 1 up on the DD and the MD jumps patch 14 for example. Why does it jump so far?

Any help and discussion is always appreciated! Thanks all.

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    The only thing that would be logical would be to synch up the clocks.

It wouldn't make sense to go from 89 to 88 on both simultaneously, for scrolling purposes.

The other option is to use one as a "preset master" and control the other. MIDI is very complicated and with all of the different devices, "guess and check" seems to be the way to go unless you have a very specific question.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It makes sense for scrolling purposes. I can switch patches simultaneously with one unit so it makes it quicker when I need to set up mod and delay effects for a song. As long as I build the patches the way I need them.

Other than that, I guess I'm curious as to exactly what is possible ya know? Since I have no idea what's capable with midi. It's a world I've barely even glanced at before.

4. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    Instead of scrolling you should come up with presets. So patch 99 and 12 together as one preset, then the next preset is 69 and 4. Scrolling is Stone Age.

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ah yes. That's what I'm talkin about. I need to figure out how to set that all up.

6. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    Read the manual like 50 times

7. XXL

XXL Muscular Stumps Of A Bassman

Jun 14, 2007
    upload_2017-9-12_17-50-27.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It doesn't really say poopie about midi in the manual.

Alien8 likes this.
  9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    A lot of midi enabled devices don't say much about midi. Sometimes they have a separate manual specifically for midi and sometime just nothing.

The first experience with midi is always a learning experience, it took me a while to grasp everything when I got deep into Source Audio stuff. And they made it really simple, it's just weird learning something different.

Some devices are known to send unwanted midi CC when used as a 'controller' sonysing one Boss to control the other might result in exactly what you're saying. May be worth trying a dedicated controller like the MIDI Mouse that only sends PC messages (PC usually changes entire patches, where CC usually is to control parameters within a patch) The line 6 M series was super simple to program to receive midi PC, as was the SA stuff.

Wish I could help more, but without it saying in the manual it's gonna be a huge guessing game.

gregmon79 likes this.
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    For starters, check which MIDI channel each device to set to. You can set them to different channels so sending a particular signal will only reach one at a time, you can set them to the same channel so both will receive a signal at the same time, or if your device is capable of it you can send one signal to two different MIDI channels at the same time. Think of each of your devices as a television. Your MIDI controller is a universal remote. You can program it to switch each separately or both at the same time.

I don't have experience with either of your units but most MIDI programmable units will let you assign a particular MIDI PC to a preset. This means that preset 14 could be assigned a MIDI PC number of anywhere from 0 to 127.

adamaarts likes this.
  11. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    NH
    Probably need to play with the Bank Sel Out MIDI parameter. This determines if the bank information is also sent with the program change. Would change it to the opposite of what is set now to see if it does more of what you are expecting.