Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

midi contoller questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Mar 9, 2006.

1. hey guys if you can't tell from my last couple posts i'm revamping my entire live set up, i'm a solo performer, who plays bass and acoustic guitar over backing tracks that i make in garage band. the thing is i'm looking for a way to trigger these tracks live. the differnt part is that imix all the tracks to itunes first to put less stress on my cpu during performance (i can't risk it crashing) would it be possible to do something as simple as switching, and pausing tracks in itunes with the use of a midi foot controller. if so what should i look at? i jsut need something small, a few buttons and no need for an expression pedal. thanks so much for you help guys, this forum is great.

topher.

2. bump :)

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Garage Band uses its own kind of controller messages to run the transport. You should check out a program called GarageRemote and see if it looks promising for your application. It translates sysex to GB controls.

When you say switching tracks, do you mean individual tracks in GB, or loading different GB project files? You would probably be into some freaky union of MIDI and AppleScript! Yeeeeeeeee Hawwwww!

4. there's the problem, i'm actually doing the playback of the files in itunes, i mix down everything from garageband, because i don't want to risk gb crashing live, so i more need to send midi messages to os x in general, is this possible? to map a simple keyboad command in os x through a midi foot controller

5. checked out garage remote, not what i'm looking for, but a real cool utility, maybe i can finally map some of the knobs on my ozone with it :) thanks a lot man :)

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I realize it's a departure from your current setup, but have you considered the program Live? Live can play all of your tracks, switch between them, crossfade, beat-match, and it takes MIDI controller commands. There are quite a few MIDI footswitch units you can find used; I think the Peavey and ART ones go pretty cheap, and work fine for this application.

7. i would lover to use live but its a bit pricy for me to consider at the moment.