MIDI CORNER

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Somnambulance, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    Do you utilize MIDI in your set up? Tell us about it! Pictures and signal path, let's have an open discussion about all things MIDI!

2. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    I do, I will post how I use midi when I get a chance.

Somnambulance likes this.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    On my "digital pedalboard" I do use MIDI, only for program change though.

full.jpg

2d01dbcb58d7febec0af8e70646cd77c.jpg
    DA = Disaster Area, SA = Source Audio

Audio signal chain:
    Tuner -> MS-60B -> OFD -> Manta-> Orbital -> MS-70CDR -> MXR M81

full.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    AndyLES, mrwood4, SirMjac28 and 3 others like this.
  4. I also use MIDI only for patch changes on my Zoom MS70. I created a little application to this end for use on my laptop, but I prefer making the patch changes through my mobile/tablet using another app, which allows me to send MIDI signals to the pedals connected to the device via an OTG cable. This idea also works with the Zoom B1xon, but its on board patch change functionality means this MIDI jugglery isn't required.

5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Line6 MIDI mobilizer 2 -> midi solutions quadrathru
    To Moog ClusterFlux
    To Moog MIDI MuRF
    To EHX 8 step program
    To Strymon timeline

Using the apps TouchOSC, Animoog and Little Midi Machine, I can control various parameters using CC values, clock, notes and some program changes. The purpose is to access under the hood settings, be able to tweak on the fly and to synchronize tempos.

The future iteration will include a Minibrute and an Axiom Keyboard controller with dedicated controls for favorite parameters. The Line6 will send to the axiom, the. That will be split... The mini brute will likely be ahead of the line6 so it can send note messages, pitchbend and mod (I hope, lots of reading to do).

SirMjac28 and Somnambulance like this.
  6. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I do as well, will post details when I have some time. Both of my boards have some MIDI.

7. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Currently just use MIDI for program changes. All the song specific patches I have written for my Switchblade 8f send program changes to my H9 and Mobius.

Eventually I will add a MIDI foot controller for more direct control of both the Switchblade and the H9/Mobius (and the SY-300 soon). Currently I just use a passive momentary foot switch for patch up/down on the Switchblade.

Before I do that I need (to learn how) to set up my Switchblade to send expression and LFO CC values to the MIDI pedals. So far I've just been running an expression pedal straight to my H9, but in theory running an exp into the Switchblade and sending CC to everything will be more convenient, once I learn how to do it correctly. Need some free time!

8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No pictures needed: Behringer FCB1010---> Fractal Audio Systems AxeFxII

adamaarts likes this.
  9. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Still rocking this.

I have only really used program changes. I briefly had some experimenting with Exp to midi to control the M9 with the SA expression pedal, but it wasn't quite stable enough. Thinking down the line I'll replace the M9 with separate delay, reverb, Octaver and modulation, then hook them up via Source Audio's Neuro loops if they don't accept midi.

AndyLES, FretNoMore and DrewM85 like this.
  10. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    I've got a ups delivery bringing in some new stuff. Pedalboard v4 will be (midi-wise):

Boss ES-8, an expression pedal, FS-7 dual footswitch spitting midi out to:

2x Line6 M9
    SA Hub
    SA Manta
    SA OFD
    and as soon as it arrives a Boss SY-300
    (with an added MIDI thru box under the hood).

The ES-8+controllers will be controlling program changes throughout the board as well as using the exp pedal (and the ES-8's capability to use a footswitch to send out expression information) to be able to ddo pitch shifts, wah-sweeps, delay-swells,...

Should be a quite powerful rig and have been planning in my head for a few weeks now.

Herwig

11. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    I can't wait to see that!

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Count me in too, sounds like a killer setup!

13. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Yes, that does sound really cool.

14. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    Ok, here is what I'm currently doing with MIDI. I use MIDI to control a Line 6 M5, Digitech Bass Whammy, and a Source Audio Hub with a Manta and Orbital. My controller is a Disaster Area DMC-8D. Still waiting on my MIDI Solutions Quadra-Thru to arrive.

MIDI signal:

DMC-8D -> Quadra-Thru -> three isolated MIDI lines to the M5, Hub, and Whammy

The DMC-8D currently doesn't have "general" midi firmware but it mostly works with my setup as I'm only using program changes at the moment and have programmed the favorite switch as a "bypass" patch. Tap tempo from the 8D will work with the M5, unfortunately the Hub doesn't support tap tempo over midi.

Future upgrades I plan to add are a SA Dual Expression Pedal to control the Hub and possibly the M5 over MIDI. I also want to add a Disaster Area DPC-8EZ so I can have 8 MIDI controlled and programmable bypass loops for my other pedals and still have room to expand. Might even add a Disaster Area SMARTClock to have a MIDI Clock source on my board to sync everything to.

jhyGjLy.jpg

BIG97BEN, DeadPoet and FretNoMore like this.
  15. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Not the most up to date photo, but close enough.

The PT-2 is controlled by the OneControl Gecko/Hub/DEP (for the SA pedals). The PT-Pro is controlled by the DMC3 XL v2 (for the H9s). Changes will eventually include the reflex, maybe a Strymon, maybe a DMC4 if I get a bigger board.

gydCtij.png

16. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Ok, it's kind of late here and I had a long day but the UPS guy delivered around 19h this evening.
    I stripped my entire board and rebuilt it - still got to trim all the excess GeorgeL underneath and clean up the top. DI in the middle will be replaced next month (if it's good enough) by a Boss SY-300.

This is my very first midi setup and it couldn't go any easier actually. Hooked up all audio and then all midi (made some custom-length cables) and everything reacts to the ES-8 switcher. My Line6 EX-1 expression pedals (with only TS/mono jacks) didn't respond well but luckily I still had an old Boss EV-5 around.

Both M9's and the SA stuff responds to the master midi clock, patch/program changes and expression input. Most (programming) time was spent learning to navigate the Boss menu's.

Naming patches like this is sooooooooooooooooooo 1984

bass->microThumpinator->Boss ES-8->output.
    Both SA pedals are connected to a SA Hub which is in turn connected to a midi solutions thru box as well as both M9's

Loop1: M9 top left (midi-> thru box)
    Loop2: Synth (as said: currently the deep impact)
    loop3: SA OFD (<->hub)
    loop4: SA Manta (<->hub)
    loop5: MXR Bass Octave (under the PT)
    loop6: Boss CE-2b (under the PT)
    loop7: Aguilar TLC (under the PT)
    loop8: M9 top right (midi->thru box).
    Volume loop: Sansamp pBDDI->EHX Freeze (always-on loop)

The FS-7 on the bottom right is one button dedicated to master bypass and the other freely assignable (the ES-8 has some crazy expression possibilities for switches)
    The EV-5 will function as a controller for the Manta-wah, M9 whammy's and random expression possibilities.

Oh yeah, and I've got a HotHand2 attached to the HUB as well :p

Tomorrow: program the thing like my previous board worked, got a really big gig on wednesday and sort out the powering. Currently this *entire* thing is powered with two one-spots but the M9's don't like that (digital noise in signal path).

Herwig

BIG97BEN, DrewM85, adamaarts and 3 others like this.
  17. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    That's like a mad scientist's version of a board. What an amazing creation!

18. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    Well my quadra thru finally came in. Just got it mounted and wired on the board. I'm happy to say all my midi stuff works together now. It really makes my changes so much easier.

Now to save up for the DPC-8EZ...

adamaarts and nshuman like this.
  19. I only use midi to control live on my PC.

20. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021