1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Midi delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by djblackrain, Jan 25, 2012.

1. djblackrain

djblackrain

Apr 23, 2008
    I am looking for a delay unit that will accept a midi trigger to control tempo, I want to hook trigger to kick drum. Any ideas? I have the rack space open on my red head so rack mount would be cool. Stomp is ok though too.

Thanks!!!

2. djblackrain

djblackrain

Apr 23, 2008
    Am I crazy to think it possible?

3. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Unless your drummer is just pumping out quarter notes on the kick all night long, this seems like it could get problematic. As the kick is changing beats, your delay time will be constantly changing.

Anyways, I doubt you'll find a delay with this feature. What you want is a drum trigger to MIDI converter. There are a couple of products and a couple of DIY kits I found on a brief google search. This one looks promising:
    Alesis Trigger I/O Percussion Pad to MIDI Interface: Shop Drums & Percussion & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

What MIDI message that gets sent in response to the trigger depends on the converter, but it will likely be a note-on message or similar. You can convert it to what you need using one of these"
    MIDI Solutions Event Processor; 10 Event MIDI Event Processor

So if you use this to convert the note-ons to whatever the MIDI message the delay unit responds to as tap tempo (line6 delay pro uses CC #64, for example), you've got it.

Kind of a roundabout way, but it would work.

But I question whether this is really what you want....

4. djblackrain

djblackrain

Apr 23, 2008
    That's exactly what I want, thanks!!