Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

midi drums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by shwashwa, Nov 10, 2004.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    does anyone have a file of some real feeling midi swing patterns? even if its just the ride cymbal? i noticed online that some companies have files that were created by drummers using midi drums as the midi input device and they sound really great, hard to believe it's midi. they're not quantized, so whatever the guy played comes out with his feel, but they come bundled in a packet with 200 other grooves and cost way to much. i just want one realistic swing groove. does that exist?

2. While I can't specifically answer your question, I will put in a plug for Band in a Box. You can set up dozens of drum styles, patterns, add and subract instruments, change tempos and styles, record, and all sorts of neat stuff.

Elderly Music has a pretty good deal on the software. I don't know what your budget is, but if you can swing $51.00 + shipping, BinaB is hard to beat.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thanks... is the swing groove in there realistic or corney? can someone post a sample so i can see if i'd want to get it?

4. You can download a binab demo that works for about a week at pgmusic.com . While all the features don't work on the demo, it does give you some idea of what it is all capable of.

As far as the sound goes, I think the drums are fine, of course I am a bluegrasser and to us, drums are just places where you store oil.

5. unregistered

unregistered unregistered

Jun 18, 2004
    ill second band in a box for that purpose. If you have a decent synth or drum machine, you can go into BIAB, make a chart, export it as midi, and then plug the drum track from the midi file into your sequencer.

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    that's cool, but i guess my question is where can i get a swing pattern on the drums that just isnt corney? the majority of swing midi's out there make me want to run and hide. i did hear of some high end ones programmed by actuall drummers playing actual midi drums being recorded by a sequencer, and the groove is great. they didnt quantize the notes, so it has the drummer's natural feel. does anyone have experience with a midi file like that? the closest thing i have been able to do is have my drummer create a ride cymbal pattern by inputting it in real time from a midi keyboard, so that way all the imperfections are preserved and the swing feels natural... but he's not a piano player, so therefore its still not as natural as if he were playing drums.

7. unregistered

unregistered unregistered

Jun 18, 2004
    yeah the biab ones are really not corney, theyre pretty good. I'm at work right now but shoot me a message later and remind me and I'll extract a few and send them your way. I have a bunch around that I've exported to use for practicing.

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ok, cool. thanks