Midi electronics

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by evilbob101, Feb 5, 2002.

1. I've been looking around different web sites, and i keep running across this "midi electronics" thing.

I've looked and i can't seem to find a clear cut definitnion for what this is.

Is it something that is actually 'on' the bass, such as lightwave, or is it something completly different.

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    MIDI = Musical Instrument Digital Interface.

It's a standard electronic language that permits all sorts of musical instruments to talk to each other and computers. You can use it in performance (eg. have a sequencer drive synthesizers and drum machines); composition, sampling, synthesis, recording...the possibilities are endless. Keyboards and percussion instruments were formerly the primary means of using MIDI in performance, though any instrument can be MIDI'd now.

Most bassists will encounter MIDI in three contexts: 1) using MIDI to change patches on an effects unit, such as the Bass P.O.D.; 2) using MIDI to have the bass control another sound source, usually a synthesizer: and 3) using MIDI to generate or play backing tracks on a computer.

There are some good MIDI FAQs and primers over at the Harmony Central. If you're curious at all, I recommed you check them out.
  3. if you think of most keyboard synths as two separate units: a MIDI controller, which sends signals to a synth (which turns these signals into notes) ... you can get an onboard bass pickup + converter which (usually with a slight tracking delay) acts like the controller ... ie sends info about pitch, volume and duration to a synthesis unit which turns these into sounds.