Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

midi for seven strings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Jun 26, 2005.

1. i wanna make a seven string bass with midi. can u guys point me to the right places. to find a bridge and the eletroincs.

if theres a place were u can just buy the saddles and the electroincs that will be good cause i can machine the bridge.

2. RMC makes these items, but I'm not sure how to contact them. Someone else might chime in with more info.

3. i have heard of rmc. i was confused when i was at there site. i dont really want to have the pezio sound. i just want to use them for midi.

4. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    If you want synth access you need to use their saddle set and one of their preamps. There are no true midi pickups, only synth pickups which allow you to convert to midi with extra hardware. This means you need to use one of the synth units out there and I am pretty sure they are 6 channels only. What I remember from some contact with RMC is the 7th string will work for the peizo sound, but the synth will ignore it. If you want more than 6 strings you'll need two units.

This info is a few years old so things might have changed.

5. iam just really confused by all this stuff. i found that i could go with rmc or ghost(not sure if that the product or wat.
    it seems liek they all have it so u can use the peizo sound or use ti for midi. iam really only looking for midi.

any more info would be good. i wouldnt mind making a bridge and just useing the saddles.

6. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    They don't sell bridges as far as I know, just the acoustic gold saddles. For synth access to work you need an individual pickup per string, that's what the acoustic gold saddles do. Then you need something to convert the individual pickups into the 13 pin synth signal. That's what the preamp is for.

By now Roland might be offering something this is close to what you need (5 or 6 strings). That would be a lot less money and work.