1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

midi guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by paniak17, Oct 11, 2004.

1. i was watching a beck version of "A day in the life" and there was a person on a "midi guitar", what is it? it came out as an orchestra, im asuming it works like a keyboard. Can someone explain to me what it is, and how much they cost, also where to buy them. Thanks.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's just a regular guitar with some extra electronics that transmit midi data to trigger external devices, like synth modules, sequencers etc. There's a number of different ways to do this, but most midi guitars just use a hexaphonic pickup, i.e. a pickup with individual elements for each string, that senses velocity, pitch and note duration. NOTE: there aren't that many MIDI midi guitars anymore. Most use Roland's proprietary 13-pin system; you need to buy a converter to turn the signal from the 13-pin system into a standard MIDI signal.

You can do a lot of cool things with midi guitars, like play synth leads, trigger samples or fill in for other instruments.

You can also do a lot of not so cool things with them - a lot of people don't like them because they're not quite ok with modifying their guitar-like phrasing in order to pass off their midi guitar as another instrument. It's also easy to go overboard and use the inappropriately when the song doesn't need, say, a guitar solo played via orchestra hits.

Midi guitars either come with the electronics built in, or you can modify a stock guitar with aftermarket electronics. The ready made ones that come to mind are the Godin LGX-ST and Brian Moore i13 series - available for around 1000-1500. There are a bunch of aftermarket systems too, by brands such as Axon, Roland and Yamaha. Roland makes a synth pickup and plastic stompbox synth that sells for 600: the GR-20. Prices go up from there.