Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIDI Horns

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parrott, Mar 4, 2003.

1. I'm sitting here in class at college arranging a version of Heard It Through The Grapevine, to help me learn to arrange music - it's doing that, it's sounding pretty good.

Apart from the horns, GRRRRRRRR, they sound awful!:mad:

And this using them in a pretty new version of Reason with Cubase VST on a nice new Dell.

I have never heard any good sounding horns made with midi, the ones in the General MIDI sound worse than death.

Why on Earth can they just not reproduce the sound of horns??

I think I'm just going to arrange it in a Joy Division style, so I avoid the horns:rolleyes:.
    Oh, but the pizz. DB sounds pretty good. So I've been using that a lot.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK I've got my wooden crucifix, a string of garlic around my neck, and a bottly of holy water. GENERAL MIDI IS EVIL. It was a bad idea, and everyone knew it was a bad idea, but no-one spoke up. It's not just the horns that sound like garbage.

Actually I've found that midi tracks always sound lifeless and dull. I always record my synth sounds as wave files. Takes up more room on the hard drive but it sounds heaps better.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    General Midi makes me puke. Go record some and sample them in. That would be neat.

4. I think that the problem lies in the fact that you can try to duplicate the sound, you can sample or whatever, but nothing pushes a column of air and creates overtones like true horns.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Currently in the CD player: "The Rite of Strings", Clarke, Di Meola and Ponty. "Rise" by Kim Richey, "One Nil" (European Version) by Neil Finn

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've not heard convincing synth horns either.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There are some good sample CDs out there with nice horn samples.

There are lots of VST instruments that can read and play AKAIs and other sample CD formats, e.g. Native Instruments Kontakt, Steinberg's Halion or Virtual Sampler.

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    It seems that recreating string (oe violin, orchestra) sounds are alot easier. I guess the resonance and overtones are just to harsh in brass for recreation. Maybe someday we can finally get rid of those pesky horn players.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    General midi is cheap, BUT lets not forget how useful it can be, every computer I've ever used has a built in general midi sound library, so if I am sans sampler I can use the general midi just to get a general idea in my head for how I want things to go, then once I have access to real isntruments or a real sample library, then I can use that.

General midi libraries take up like what 16 megs of space? and they have like 250 sounds....not bad for very basic and on the spot place marker sounds if you ask me.

I wish that there was a bigger market of high quality lilve instrument sample sets. I am a hardcore advocate of electronic music, and I think that it would be really cool if you could buy cds that would be{sampled}trumpets or saxes playing their full range, in a variety of styles and settings....hmmmm

9. These exist, if you have an Akai sampler or a VST.

10. There's both at college, I've just not been taught how to use them yet.

11. You're not alone. I don't think there's any area of technology that intimidates me more than MIDI.