Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIDI Keyboard Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by trog, Feb 2, 2006.

1. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I'm in need of a bit of help :meh:

I recently bought a USB/MIDI keyboard controller - the E-MU Xboard 49. I've plugged it in and installed all the drivers, etc... but it ain't working properly.

When I touch a key, no sound is played through the speakers. I am able to record with it, so it seems to me that the midi data from the keyboard just isn't being routed to the speakers. Any ideas on how to solve this? Windows XP.

Sorry to treat the forum like a customer support line, but I dread phoning them up :eek:

2. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Do you understand what MIDI is?

I don't mean to sound condescending, but MIDI is simply data, it is not any particular sound that can be heard.

3. Right. You need a MIDI synth program so you can actually hear the "keyboard" being played.

4. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    D'oh. Thanks for making me realise my painfully incompetent mistake.

I was under the impression that the controller had a basic organ synth built in - it doesn't. I am a dunce. Please excuse me.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yup, there are a lot of software synths that you can download for free. The keyboard sends data such as the pitch and velocity of a note you just played to the synth, which actually produces the sound.