Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midi Keyboards: What's all this then, what's all this

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I got a midi keyboard from my parents. They got it for my bros, but they've got little to no musical interest. It sounds great, but it doesn't have a manual due to the fact that it's a yardsale purchace. The only output is midi, so how do I record on my computer with this? How do I amp it live? Also what are the benifits of the midi in?

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Get ye some soft synths, since your keyboard won't be making any noise on its lonesome. Native Instruments has a ton of demo versions to try out on their site. (http://www.native-instruments.com/)

Does your keyboard have a USB connector? (I think most MIDI controller keyboards have them these days) That may be the easiest way to connect it to your computer, if your sound card doesn't have a MIDI port.

What brand/model keyboard is it by the way?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yamaha PSR 320. I think it's older, it doesn't have a USB port. I'll check out these soft synths you speak of. It does have built in speakers, so it does project noise. Not recordable noise though.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I think that's just a regular synth. MIDI keyboards are keyboards that you plug into other synths that are used as a trigger. You can use regular synths as triggers as well, but you can do more with regular synths than MIDI keyboards (by themselves at least.)

I've looked around, and everything I've read has emphasized the need to read the manual (sorry :meh: ). You could try seaching around Ebay for it, or look on the internet. Aside from that. I don't know what else to say.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for the links guys, I'm researching a bit.