Midi Output from Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by William Fairman, Dec 7, 2002.

1. I would like to be able to play the bass and generate midi output. I want to use the midi to simplify transcribing the music played on the bass.

The delay in converting the low notes seems to be a big problem. Roland V-Bass reports very low latency, but it does not generate a midi sequence (or does it?).

Can the Roland GK-2B bass pickup be used in a system to effectively generate the midi output?

Is there some other obvious solution?

[Please excuse my ignorance in this area.]

2. Axon AX100 Midi Converter
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The V-Bass does not generate or receive MIDI note information. The MIDI connectors are only for controller and system exclusive messages.

I'm also curious about whether the GK bass pickup could be used with other compatible synths - I guess it could. As the major problem is the delay created for converting low frequencies to MIDI information I don't think it would be any more responsive than other bass-to-MIDI systems.

I own the Yamaha G50/B1D system, and it is not all that impressive. Useful for entering notes into a notation program though.
  4. HI:
    I believe Axon say the roland Gk-A guitar pickup can be used w/ their Axon 100 units. So I would only infer that the Gk-2b would also work.
    What you could do, and i've thought about this a little, is get both the vbass and the Roland thru connector (don't recall the offical name its has 1 -13pin in and 4 outs), send one output to the vbass unit for no latency synths and weird sounds, and send another output to a midi controller units (like the axon 100sb-built in sound board). This would give you best of both worlds, keyboard exclusive sounds or drum triggers from the axon (w/ latency), and the vbass output.
    Alternatively you could use the Roland PK5 -MIDI Pedals to directly trigger midi controllers/sequencers etc.

the vbass won' help transcribing into a notation program, the axom might be the ticket
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just some additional curio, I use the Yamaha B1D with the V-Bass, the pickup and control unit physically fit my basses better. I have also tried the GK pickup with the Yamaha G50 and that works fine too. So it is probable that any unit that accepts the same 13-pin connector will work to some degree. But, the performance may vary because some units will be designed for guitar (and guitar frequencies) and others for bass.
  6. Thanks for the ideas.

I contacted a shop that sells the AXON system, and he thought that for "automatic" notation, my primary objective, it might be as good or better, and certainly much less expensive, to use a software program (such as Intelliscore or Autoscore or Freestyle) that converts to midi from a sound card.

Has anyone had experience with this approach?