Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIDI Pickups and Systems Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alankroeger, Sep 1, 2003.

1. alankroeger

alankroeger

Sep 1, 2003
    I was wondering if anyone has used or worked with MIDI on the Bass Guitar. I have most of the equiptment for the guitar already (Roland GR-09 and GK-2a, yes I know there is a GK-2b) of coarse I won't make this a simple question. I want to know if anyone has tried this with a fretless (which I don't currently have) and particularly a 5 string or more Bass. If you haven't used the Synth/Sound modules but, have used one of the Roland VG systems feel free to add your comments too. I realize some people hate this synth stuff but, having used it on the guitar I find some of it's possibilities intriguing. So, any takers here?

Here's whats inside of a GK-2a pickup
    [​IMG]

http://www.akroeger.com/midiviolin/gk2aopen.jpg

2. alankroeger

alankroeger

Sep 1, 2003
    No interest?, no knowledge? or no takers?

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sorry, no experience with Roland guitar synths...

I have used a Yamaha G50/B1D/MU100R (interface/pickup/synth, that is) on five string basses on and off, but not yet with fretless. I would think there are some setting that need to be adjusted and that there could be some issues with string bending/glissandos. Have to try this sometime.

I sort of stopped using the MIDI stuff for anything other than note input into PC/sequencer notation software, I think the V-Bass is more interesting for bass, and that works very well with fretless.

4. alankroeger

alankroeger

Sep 1, 2003
    Thanks for the opinion/comparison on the MIDI. The GR has a setting for Port. or step available which I played around with just a bit (that might take care of the sliding note issue) on the guitar. I don't have a six string to use it with just yet but, the GR and the GK worked pretty well on the guitar. I was thinking of using it like this Lower strings essentially either a parallel note and top three high notes set/tuned an octave higher then true value (I suppose it would be nice to have individual output on the analog pickups, so you could avoid having a parallel octave together) this way I could have some intesting high and low splits in the voicings. Yes the VG's do interest me but, I can currently avoid the upgrade as I have enough processing power with the Adrenalinn II (Adrenalinn I upgraded) and a G-Major I have mainly used these with Electric Violin and hadn't yet bothered to try it with the cheapy bass I have (probably wouldn't help this one too much) so, six string on the way!

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just remembered that I asked a sales person once about using a Roland guitar synth with my bass pickup, and he said "it won't work". He couldn't give any more details, and he hasn't been all that knowledgable (is that a word? :)) before, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. The Yamaha G50 MIDI converter has a Guitar/Bass switch, so I think there is a difference in how the MIDI conversion is done. My guess is that it primarily has to do with the sampling/frequency detection, the algorithms are probably optimized for different note ranges. If that is the case you may find that the MIDI interfacing works, but not too well...

6. alankroeger

alankroeger

Sep 1, 2003
    Well I tell you what I will try this in the near future using the GK-2a (save the cost of a 2b for later) and see if it functions at all. It might not be too bad as I am mostly interested in using it in the higher ranges and am not all the interested in going to a Low B tuning (probably string it as guitar an octave lower) so, it's possible this could function somewhat better using that type of configuration/tuning. It could be interesting if it could function.