MIDI Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kel_fluronova, Nov 10, 2003.

1. kel_fluronova

Nov 10, 2003
    I have a Boss GT-6B Fx system, and i was wondering if there's any point in me getting a MIDI pickup, i mean to be honest i don't fully understand what you can do with them. If anyone with knowledge on the subject could enlighten me it would be much appreciated, cheers

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No point in getting a MIDI pickup. The GT-6B is a souped-up stompbox - accepts the usual 1/4" jack.

You can use a MIDI pickup or Roland's GK proprietary divided pickup with random synths and Roland's V-Bass modeling doohickey, but that's a different kettle of fish.
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

As our bro has stated, the GT6B doesn't need the MIDI pick-up. It operates as a regular 1/4" in multi-effect box. The V-Bass is the one that will take the MIDI signal in from a GK2B pickup.

You can buy the Roland GK2B pickup that mounts on your bass (good for 4's and 5's) and that has a multi-pin output that would go into the Roland GI20.

From the Roland GI20 use MIDI out to any sound module and you can play the individual notes with velocity and pitch control. OR, you can go GK2B directly into the Roland V-Bass.

Yamaha also has a similar system but I forget the model names. I think it's a GR-50 unit that works for both guitar and bass.

Our elec guitarist in our Praise & Worship Band at church uses a Roland GR33 guitar synth with the same type of pickup (GK2A).

It actually tracks quite well, I'm surprised. Whatever latency there is in the system is not noticeable to me.

I've thought that it would be kind of cool to take a beater bass and modify it that way. Sure would give a lot of tonal variations with the right tone module (let's say a cheap, used Alesis Nanobass).

I'd be interested in knowing if anybody has used this set-up (GK2B + GI-20 + MIDI synth) successfully
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    midi alows you alot of freedom in recording programs such as premiere and cakewalk. You can record the notes with your bass, then chance the instrument, the placement of the notes, the loudness of the notes, and many other details. Itd be roughly the same as using a keyboard as a midi controller.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL