1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIDI ports

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Mar 8, 2001.

  1. What's a good inexpensive MIDI port to start with. I'm just going to be using my keyboard with it. Thanks
  2. Bruce Lindfield

    Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

    What do you mean by "port" in this case? I would have thought that virtually every electronic keyboard around nowadays, had midi ports built-in already? If it didn't then you're buggered anyway and wouldn't be able to do anything with midi unless you were some kind of electronics genius?
  3. Joe Nerve

    Joe Nerve Supporting Member

    Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Soundblaster Live. Around $200.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

    Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

    That's not what I would call a "port" as such - that's a sound card or you might call something like this a "midi interface" for a PC. Most of the PCs I've seen recently have had soundcards built in anyway.

    I think you need to be clear about terms in this area - I have several bits and pieces that are interfaces and provide midi ports, but a sound card is something different.
  5. I need something I can plug my keyboard into that'll go to my computer so I can record with MIDI.
  6. cschenk78


    Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    The Midi-Sport 2x2, it hooks into the USB Port in your PC and works great...Relatively inexpensive too..$69.95 at www.Midi-store.com
  7. thanks.
  8. Mark Gollihur

    Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

    Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    If your soundcard has a 15 pin (joystick) port, you can get a cable for between $15-20 dollars that will give you 1 MIDI in and 1 MIDI out.

    It's called a "Joystick Port Interface" or Mpu-401 cable, depending on who you ask.

Share This Page