1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Midi Sequencer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Amitio, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Recently got hold of a copy of guitar rig which is good, but anyways, messing around with all its effects, i found that there is a alot of fun to be had with the analogue sequencer.

With the sequencer connected to the Pitch Pedal(Whammy) you can create effects like that of Map of the Problematique by Muse, gutiar part that is.

I was wondering if i were to buy a whammy, could this be done using the midi input of the whammy and whether there is a pedal which is like the analogue sequencer.

thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are stand-alone MIDI sequencers which have controls/user interface similar to old-school analog sequencers. But they are much larger than pedals (more of a desktop unit or drum machine size/form) and the inexpensive ones I'm thinking of are so old that you may not easily find one in good working condition. The newer ones I've seen (Jomox, Doepfer, etc.) are very very expensive.

All that said, yes if you find a sequencer which has an interface you like, and which has a MIDI output, you will be able to use it to control the Whammy. Consult the Whammy manual to find out exactly which of its parameters can be controlled by MIDI.

3. Very Helpful!

Do you know any manufacturers of the old sequencers you speak of? And how much they'd go for?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Alesis MMT-8, Kawai Q-80, Korg SQD-1, Roland MC-50, Yamaha QX-5, and various models with similar number-names (e.g. SQD-8). They show up on Ebay for pretty cheap usually since everyone uses a regular computer for sequencing these days. I'd go for the Alesis myself as it's very easy to program.

5. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    The absolute best budget-priced stand-alone sequencer is the Future Retro Mobius. It is very flexible and powerfull. It will only sequence one thing at a time, but that isn't a problem if you are just using a sequencer to modulate a filter, or some other single parameter.

It will sequence midi, but also has CV (in Hz/V or V/Oct) and gate outputs and can act as a midi-CV converter.

http://www.future-retro.com/

6. Thanks for all your help!

Looks like whatever option i take, its gonna be rather expensive for a jobless teenager like me!