Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIDI synth systems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ericman197, May 18, 2004.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    This isn't exactly a bass, amp, pickup, or effect question per se, but it's related to all of them, so I figured I'd ask here. Today I was inspired by an Elvis recording which combined rock with big band music. What I was thinking about doing is sometime this year either get one myself or coerce my guitarist into getting it. The question really is what system? I've heard that the Axon MIDI Synth is good, but that's all I know of. Also, what instrument would I use it with? What I was thinking of doing would be to install it on my guitar and come up with a decent setup... something like the E string corresponds to baritone sax, A to tenor sax, D to alto sax, G to trumpet, B to trumpet, and E to flute, or something along those lines... this could also work for orchestral stuff as well. I've heard that you can do this with some MIDI synths, and I find it pretty exciting. So what would be recommended for this? Could I do it on bass? I would be a bit worried about sounding extremely muddy, but then again bass may in fact be more suited for such an idea. Let me know what you guys think...

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, first up, this will be better off in miscellaneous, so i'll move it there presently.

secondly, the roland systems are good for guitar, and they're a cheaper solution than the axon. the gr33 is great, imo. both the guitarists in my band have used it on our recordings, it responds nicely and sounds good. it requires a custom pickup installed on your instrument.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Would those work on bass as well? I don't know if I can convince my guitarist to make the switch.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Axon 100 is the best tracking unit I know of out there. I had one until recently. It's a great unit, but tracking on the low E and A still has a lag.
    I have a friend who uses an Axon / sound module setup with his Conklin GT-7 . He uses the bottom four strings as regular bass and comps hammond chords on the top three strings

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the axon works best with bass - it handles the lower notes better than the roland system. the roland guitar synth brains have a cut off where they dont' track lower than the c on the a string of a bass.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    interesting. i dont' have that problem with mine. did you have the gk type pickup or use the piezos-in-the-bridge-saddles method?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I use the divided pickup, so that could be it I guess

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Hmmm, this is all very interesting. I don't think I'm going to do this any time soon... I'll probably just get a keyboardist. However, in the future, it'd be great to be able to do some of that without one.