1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Midi to tab recording - help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by sifi76, Mar 21, 2017.

1. sifi76

sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    Hi guys, I'm looking at trying to get a midi setup with my bass or or something to that effect, so that I can tab into guitar pro on the fly. The reason for this is that my band is using this as the 'pass around' method of songwriting, and I'm not the most adept at theory being that I play by ear and memory. According to tutorials it will work using a midi device into GP, but basically I'm trying to see if it will work through some sort of midi controller from my bass. Has anyone had any experience with this, even with GP specifically? are there any pedals or boxes that can be used as controllers/translators or is my only option going to be a bass with a dedicated roland style midi pickup/input? If all else fails, I figure a midi keyboard will be the best bet, as I can replicate my basslines on keys easily enough, but I figured I'd check to see if there was any dedicated bass/guitar hardware that can do the job first.

Cheers.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Bass is harder to track. The guitar to midi devices track the best.
    If you use a guitar you transpose down an octave in the software.
    The the hex type pickups in the roland, fishman triple play, are good as they track each string separately which translates to tab better. Used Axon are also good. Sometimes it about where you play it on the neck versus what the actual note is.

Be sure to add in pitch bends, vibrato, ghost notes, etc. to the tab that guitar to midi doesn't always pick up well.