1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

midi track loop station

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dubist, May 30, 2011.

1. dubist

dubist

Aug 23, 2009
    humboldt, Ca
    hey TB got a side-project starting up.
    looking to do some loops and live samples with a drummer.
    looking to setup up 2 loop stations ( one for my bass and one for a guitar) with a midi clock that is set (auto bpm) by the drummers hi hat or bass drum or something??
    i own a loop station but have nor used it much. and don't know much about midi clocks.
    any one have any ideas on how you would set this up?

side note:
    IYHO whats better playing multiple loops through my 18". or having a side speaker to run the loops through?

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    You would need a device to convert the drummers pulse into midi time code. I think there used to be a hardware device called the Human Clock. Sorry to say there's no real easy solution other than maybe having the drummer play to a click track from a recorder, then that device also can send midi to your loopers.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Kahler Human Clock.

[​IMG]

Required 2 or 3 (can't remember) VERY steady input pulses - such as quarter-notes.

Any deviation from a steady stream, such as adding in some eighth-notes or a dotted pattern gave the instant result of "disaster".

Some sequencer programs call this "Tap Tempo".

Have the drummer wear phones and play to a click -- just like the big-boy touring drummers do.

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
  5. dubist

dubist

Aug 23, 2009
    humboldt, Ca
    Battles Fuc***g love it

ii just found that a kaos pad has an auto bpm function i wonder if it can also be used as a midi clock to run 2 loop stations.

6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Get the Roland RC-50. It outputs MIDI clock. I use it to sync my Moog Taurus 3 bass pedals.

7. dubist

dubist

Aug 23, 2009
    humboldt, Ca
    we both have rc 50 and want them to run on the same clock or control each other. as i said i don't know all the options of my rc 50. as i prefer to practice my finger techniques then electronic fiddling. i don't know as much as i should about my electronics.
    i am straying away from the idea of having the drums control the bpm. but would be great if both rc 50s were on the same bpm clock.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    run a click track from a drum machine, and MIDI in to both loopers?

9. recnsci

recnsci

Apr 8, 2010
    Not really in my experience. KP wants something steady and easy to detect.

OTOH, this can catch anything you throw at it from turntable, but I haven't done rigorous testing with live drummer (it was easily catching supersteady guy who played simple 4-4 ridims). It certanly has better BPM detect algo than KP, but you should definitley try KP first if you have it allready. Go with bass drum + snare, maybe even HH depending on pattern.

btw, click track is only 100% safe way, even best detection algo could glitch now and then

10. dubist

dubist

Aug 23, 2009
    humboldt, Ca
    what drum machine sends out midi clock signal that would run 2 loop stations?
    can someone suggest what external midi clock to use that has a click track?
    what is the correct terminology for the signal that would run the loopstation.

cheers