1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Midi USB into Windows XP to record ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by luknfur, Nov 30, 2006.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    From what I can gather looking below the surface, XP has a driver called DirectMusic API that supports midi. I’m trying to record a V bass to the laptop through the USB port but can’t figure out how to make the connections internally from port to internal recorder.

Any ideas?

2. Danimal00

Danimal00 Dealer: Sweetwater

Feb 28, 2006
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sound Senior Sales Engineer
    Hi luknfur,

I assume that you are talking about the Roland VBass. The Roland VBass does not do an Audio to MIDI conversion. The MIDI in and out of the VBass uses the MIDI i/o for other things, such as Firmware updates, patch changes, ect.

The only way to get audio out of the VBass is via the analog audio outputs. If you want to generate MIDI from the Notes you are playing to record the MIDI data, you will need something such as the GI-20 from Roland. That is a Pitch to MIDI convertor. The GI-20 has a 13 pin input and a MIDI output as well as a USB output that will transmit the MIDI notes.

I've personally used the VBass, VG8, GR33, and the GI20. The GR33 and GI20 are the only two of these four units that do the pitch to MIDI conversion, and the GR33 is geared towards the guitarist. The GI20 has a switch to change it from guitar to bass use.

I hope this helps.
    Dan

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh the V bass, thanks.

It does help in confirming the thought that a controller would be needed.

The laptop only has a mic in other than the USB which I’ve gathered sucks compared to a line in. I’ve ran the bass through the mic-in on the computer but I haven’t tried running the V bass to the computer through the mic-in. I’m guessing I could drop the output enough to get a useable result. Or maybe using the headphone out into the computer mic-in might work? Seems some guys have done that with amps. I’ve never messed with digital recording. All I want to do with the stupid thing are some brief 5-10 second clips and it's like some major event.

I’ve been thinking about a synth extension as well but there’s the tracking issue. Even thought about using long scale piccolo bass strings to try and get around it but apparently that’s not too impressive either. How was your experience with bass tracking on the GI20?

4. Danimal00

Danimal00 Dealer: Sweetwater

Feb 28, 2006
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sound Senior Sales Engineer
    Pretty decent, I thought that the tracking was the fastest of the Pitch to MIDI convertors i've tried, but it still didn't feel right to me on the lower strings. It has to wait for 1/2 the waveform to get enough information to generate a MIDI note. The VBass triggers faster since it does not have to do this, but then again it does not do the MIDI thing either.

Dan