Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midi WIthout AN Instrument

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Hefferstud, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Does anybody know where i could possibly get a piece of software that creates midis, but you dont have to have an instrument. Sort of like power tab. where you put in a tab, and it plays it in MIDI for you, depending on what number fret you designate it. Only im looking for software that can have 3 channels (drums, bass, and guitar) because i want to make MIDI's out of some of my favorite mp3's, i tried a Mp3 to MIDI converter, but that did not work well at all, so does anyone have any suggestions?

thank you

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I think most MIDI sequencers do this. Cubase, for example, has the key edit facility, in which you just enter notes in with the mouse. Look on www.download.com there are bound to be some free sequencers with this.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Like moley said, pretty much any midi sequencer offers a notation editor, piano roll editor or something similar. That way you can use your mouse to create midi notes.

4. yea i know that most of them have a place where you can edit them. but most of them dont have their own channel for drums. most have like 8 different channels, but you cant put drums, you can only put like 4 instances of bass and 4 instances of guitar. Unless there is something i am missing in most of these programs.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You lost me here, man.

MIDI used today has 16 channels, with channel 10 as default for drum sounds. Every sequencer I know of will let you have any number of tracks you could possibly want.

So what do you mean, exactly?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah but it's got to be as easy as Tab - no effort involved!! ;)

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Cubase even has a dedicated drum editor.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think most of the replies are concentrating on the title and first sentence and not the latter part which I have copied above.

I can see this is understandable, as this part of the post is difficult to read and almost certainly impossible without some very expensive gear like a Synclavier/Fairlight type of instrument.

So basically, I read it that he wants to sample guitar, bass and drums from MP3 and then use the software to play these sounds, just by specifying what fret on the guitar.

To me this sounds like the ultimate expression of the "no effort", "instant gratification" generation!!! ;)
    As in - I don't want to put in the effort required for learning to play an instrument like bass, guitar or drums - but I want all the benefits!! :rolleyes:

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wav/mp3 to midi conversion DOES NOT WORK!

Some programs can convert monophonic signals but that's it.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    MP3 to MIDI converter? Do such things exist? Well, I'm not surprised it didn't work. Why not work out the notes by ear, then program them in to the sequencer. That way you'll be improving your aural skills too. I can't stress how valuable aural skills are.

11. of course there has to be no effort. thats the whole point to making people come out with new software. i understand what you all are saying and you dont have to get all frustrated with me. and yes i know how to play bass, otherwise i wouldnt be here asking the question, rather than being on some windows sound forum or something. all i simply asked is something like POWER TAB , i dunno if you have seen this software before, but its like writing tabs, when you write the tab, it plays it out for you, this is a great program only it doesnt have 3 different score sheets. it only has a sheet for bass and guitar, so you can only play guitar and bass simultaneously when you enter the tab. and i was just wondering if there was something that was just like this only it has 3 different sheets, one for bass, drums, and guitar.

12. thats the whole point of what im trying to do. im trying to learn the notes by ear, because there is no bass tab for the mp3 i want, and i want to put all the tabs by figuring them out into the program, and make a MIDI out of it that way. and i just dont wanna buy some expensive piece of equipment in which i would have to plug into my CPU and my instrument, i just want to find out what notes to play, put em in, and play it. only i cant find one that has a drum "input" where you can play bass, guitar, and drums all at the same time.

i hope i didnt just make this more confusing.