Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

midi

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by matt macgown, Jul 1, 2004.

1. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    This might not be the place for this question, but if not, it will surely get redirected. I've seen quite a lot of "midi" discussion, and thoughts are jelling up here. Sounds like a good item. I believe I should get set up for this.

I've got a Yamaha PSR - 170 keyboard for general purposes, downstairs. Upstairs, downstairs and in the middle we have 2 Dell 4600s, new, and two somewhat older Compaqs. I presume the Dells would be the desirable items, at much higher processor speeds, and much more memory available.

Is there some special "other" piece of equipment that I need to get cranked up in "midi?" such as IO device, a card, etc."

Likewise, I guess I'd better get this nice program you fellows talk about for transposing and writing music? Now that I have the bass - well - what the hey, better get up to date.

Matt (Papaw Matt) MacGown

2. To get the signal into your computer, you'll have to go one of two routes. Route 1 is easier. If your sound card has a joystick port, you just need a special MIDI cable to plug into it. Plug the other two plugs into the proper spots on your keyboard, and all you need is some software to use it with. If you have no connector, you'll need to track down a box that will connect to your computer via USB, and act as a MIDI interface. And then you need software. Tracktion has a nearly fully functional demo version, which is pretty cool. It's a sequencer, and has MIDI capability, along with support for software synthesizers and effects and their ilk.

3. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Super. Both Dells have joystick ports! I presume the other thing would be a capture device somewhat like I often use for video cameras, only sound grabber. Anyway the joystick ports will make it easy. Son number 4 is interested in this, too, being a broadcast meteorologist with a storm chase business, and he says it's a simple matter - after I get the software. Thanks very much. And the new machines have CD burners and all that, too!

So - Papaw may not be too old to learn some new tricks, and this year may turn into fun, afterall!

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
  5. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    I think yer right - this is fun being brewed up. I want some of that notation software, too, that folks have told me about.

6. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
  7. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    If you want some notation software and you have son or daughter in college I would recommend Sibelius 3 or Finale. With the academic discount you can get a really good deal. You might try checking out Sibelius and Finale's websites for demo versions.

8. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks. I'm gonna shoot for "Finale," with what I've heard so far about it. Fortunately, sons are through with college, unless they get like me, and hopefully that won't occur (not likely - they all make too much $$). Four of the little buggers.

9. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Just my opinion: I would suggest Sibelius. I have heard some horror stories about Finale. People who have read the manuel and still cant fully figure it out. That being said, I believe if you know how to use it Finale is a better program. Sibelius you pretty much dont even have to read the manuel and you can use it. Just my 2 cents.