Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

midi

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by biochem15, May 23, 2002.

1. biochem15

biochem15

May 23, 2002
    what do i need to hook my bass up to my computer through a sound card with a midi input? Do I need an adapter or coupler?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    First thing, there's NO MIDI involved!
    MIDI is a protocol for controller data for e.g. keyboards, synths, effects units, etc.

Connect the line out of your (pre)amp with the line in of your soundcard.
    You might need an adapter because the soundcard has 3.5mm jacks, not 6.3mm.

Plugging your bass directly into the soundcard surely won't work right.

Use your amp's line out or a mixer or a stombox.
    A mixer or a stereo stompbox (e.g. stereo chorus in bypass mode) are the best choice, since they turn your signal into stereo (dual mono).

3. biochem15

biochem15

May 23, 2002
    thanks, ill try that

4. biochem15

biochem15

May 23, 2002
    what type of cord do i need running from the line out on my preamp? It has three prongs. is there one that runs directly from the line out to the sound card, or at least to and adapter. and if so, what is it called? thanks again

5. I wouldn't go directly into the soundcard. Go via D.I box into a mixer, then from the mixer to the line in or Mic in of your soundcard. It will reduce noise, although there will still be noise, noticeable noise. By doing this setup it reduces the hefty bass down to a line level. Which your soundcard can handle ;)

:D:D

Merls

I do it all the time.

6. You CAN go directly into the card via the line input of your soundcard. I've done all of my lessons/excercises using this method and it sounds good and records well with the use of your windows software or 3rd party stuff. This is the method used by the "Interactive Bass" software and it's great. It allows playing over CD's, though you won't be able to record with a CD unless you have a full duplex sound card.

All you need is a ¼" - mini phone plug cable. I made mine but you can buy them at music stores with a good cable selection.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Bass signal is much lower than line level in 98% of all cases.