Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIDI ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SubDubMan, Aug 8, 2002.

1. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    Can someone try to explain to me what MIDI is and how you use it. For example, in the POD Pro handbook it says, "POD Channels Can Be Selected Via MIDI Program Changes." I've seen MIDI pedal boards like in Musicians Friend and stuff... so do you get one (a midi pedal board) and assign channels to buttons on the floorboard?? If so how do you do that? If not what do you do?
    I've seen the word MIDI used around and just wonder how you exactly use it and what it is used for. Thanks A Lot!!

-Chris

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It's a standard format for communicating music events and changes from one device to another. A program change is a type of MIDI message. There are many floor-pedal MIDI controller devices out there that will likely work with the POD. They can do things like change the sound, including effects. They can also do things like change volume, delay length, etc. These are called continuously variable parameters. MIDI pedals that have a foot controller can do this. Just 'assign' the controller to the parameter.

MIDI is cool. Just be prepared to get into the nuts and bolts of digitally controlled devices. If you have some technical aptitude, you will have no problems.

3. MIDI can take you everywhere and is an amazing tool. It is la bit ike learning a new programming code tho'...a big world requiring allot of patience and time to fully grasp all of it's finer intricasies. In the end, I personally lost my patience and went back to stompboxes. Don't ever let yourself be caught scrolling through menus in the middle of a set...awful.