1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MidiDesigner BeatBuddy layout + tempo via MIDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    TLDR version:
    BeatBuddy has an odd way of setting tempo; has someone found another way than sending a CC106 followed by a CC107, e.g. an NRPN message?

Longer version:
    I'm trying to implement a tempo dial in Mididesigner on iPad, and I see no way of mapping a 40-300 dial to the MSB/CC106/0-2 + LSB/CC107/0-127 values. Using two dials works, but is not too cool looking or practical. :)

Mididesigner layout:
    In case someone is interested; my MD layout is mainly for exploring the factory sounds and using the BB at home, it's more convenient than bending down and changing settings on the pedal. Maybe it could be useful live too. This is the current state where everything except the tempo dial works:

A7CC0A70-48A0-4177-AC05-B24B5F0FE209.

mobdirt and nshuman like this.
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I've occasionally bugged Dan about making a supercontrol that will do what you're talking about, in a different context (though I would use it for this too). He's usually very responsive to user feature requests if he's convinced they are worthwhile. We should bring this up to him again.

3. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes ... I just suggested a supercontrol that operates on tick row number instead of MIDI type/value. That way you could trigger any subcontrol via named ticks and would not be limited to for intance 0-127.

4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    The other context in which I wanted to use this was for my SY-300. There are two banks and channels, but they are different lengths. Like, bank 0 with PC 1-99 and bank 1 with PC 1-70 (I might have that reversed). I would like one supercontrol that controls them all. But there are two problems. The first is the two different sizes (99 vs. 70) causes issues unless you give the shorter one dummy values to make them the same length. This is doable, though inelegant. The second issue is that however I was trying to do it didn't actually work quite the way it should, it would send values from both subcontrols even if I only wanted it sent from the first.

5. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes, those uneven ranges exist for my tempo issue too.

I also suggested a Bank/PC control that, unlike the current control, would allow you to specify bank number in addition to PC. That would fix your scenario, as well as my BeatBuddy song select where I now have a selector for each of the 22 banks.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Adamixoye likes this.
  6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I didn’t get the answers I hoped for, looks like this is too much for MD at this time.

I’m going to look into an app called MidiFire; it’s overkill for this, but it can do filtering and other manipulations on a MIDI stream, and has a small programming language with conditionals.

7. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting. Way over my head but I'm curious what you come up with. I've got a beat buddy and I already use a cheesy midi app for my FI. It'd be cool to use a better app for both.

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just to bring this to some conclusion ... I tried the MidiFire app and it solves the problem. I let the tempo dial in MidiDesigner send pitch bend messages and translated those to the CC messages the BeatBuddy wants. A bit tricky, and another app that needs to run in the background. Overkill for this but interesting for a programmer like me. :)

518FBDDF-2790-4534-A689-65D83BDDA9B1.

Jonny5bass likes this.
  9. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    So, two questions:

(1) MD and MIDIFire talk to each other via a virtual connection?

(2) Does MIDIFire need a physical connection to your board?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this...it might solve some of my problems.

10. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    The programming doesn't scare me at all, I just need to know how the connections work and what the capabilities are.

11. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    1) You can select input and output MIDI ports (the + icon top left), if I choose FM for both input and output then I got messages from MD to MF and echoed back MF to MD.
    2) As opposed to wireless? I would think any Core MIDI connection works.

One thing I tripped up on; MF just process one messages at a time. NRPN is a sequence of messages so that can’t be handled as input. Hence my use of pitch bend instead.

12. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Let me combine these into one question. Basically, my setup all wireless to my board. Guitar Wing --> MIDI Designer --> PUC+ --> board. Just making sure this is compatible with that.

So when you have MD pass something to MF and it "echoes back" are you just using MIDI Thru in MD to get that message output? I'm sorry I'm not articulating this better. I think I understand everything that you're doing in terms of MD --> MF filtering and kicking back the right type of message, just not understanding how that kicked-back message gets passed to your final devices.

13. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Top right in the picture the output module is iODock II; which is connected to my hardware.

If I change that module to MidiFire then the messages show up on the input of MidiDesigner (unless they are blocked by the code - the ”+B” option).

14. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    So basically it goes from MIDIFire to iODock, but you could kick it to MD?

My question is because MIDI sent to MD is typically used to control MIDI. It doesn't get typically passed as-is.

15. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If you could describe your use case I can try to set it up.

16. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Basically I want Bank 0/PC 1-99 + Bank 1/PC 1-70 concatenated onto one control. A single control in MD, send to MF, back to MD, out to my board.

17. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sounds like the setup I showed above would work with just some minor changes ... I’ll give it a go.

18. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Okay, here's the one thing I'm not sure if I'm articulating correctly...it does seem like that would work. But when I send MIDI from my Guitar Wing to MD, it uses it as supercontrol data, it's not "Thru." I don't understand how this routing works...would I need the converted data from MF to control subcontrols in MD? Or can it pass it directly "Thru"?

19. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think you can do both depending on how you write the code.

I interpreted your case as you want a dial in MD to select from the two banks in the synth.
    Do you also want to send controls from the GW to MD and/or to the synth?

20. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    You are correct on your (initial) interpretation.

I am only referencing my Guitar Wing as my only point of experience for how other MIDI programs/controllers operate when sending MIDI to MD.