Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midnight Specials - Songs???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Dec 31, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For any of you who are playing out tonight, (NY Eve), are you playing anything in particular when the clock puts us into 2002?

For any of you not playing out tonight, what would you pick as your "midnight" song"

As fah mah own self, we've got a lady on lead vocals, so it's Pink's "Get the Party Started"......(I know the bass line isn't much, but sometimes simple is best).

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We played Unchained Melody right before midnight so that all the couples could have one last slow dance in 2001, and then played a 6 minute version of La Bamba(big fan favorite at the club we were playing) and counted down the new year about 3 1/2 minutes into it.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    We did 'Stand by Me' up to 11:58:45(ish), did the countdown, 'Auld Lang Syne' at 12:00:05, then 'Rockin' in the Free World'... Pretty standard fare.

-robert

4. rickbass

WELL GOOD!!!

Apparently, Gard and myself weren't the only TB'ers playing out last night :cool: :cool: (Gard played before, like, half the population of the US South at Disneyworld; I wonder if he got on TV???)

Jeff & Robert - Sounds like you all knew your audiences and selected well. You know everyone wants to be on the floor at midnight, so what you perform is crucial!!!

I wonder if anyone was forced into Auld Lang Syne? :eek:

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I wouldn't say I was forced into playing 'Auld Lang Syne'. I was forced into the gig itself... This is the first New Years I've played since '81/'82, so since the band went against my wishes and booked the gig, the least they could do was humor me on the song! Suprisingly, many folks came up and said it was refreshing to hear a live band play the tune?!?!? I kinda figured it was a gimme! :D

-robert

6. embellisher

Rick, we were planning on playing Auld Lang Syne, but thankfully our singer forgot about it. Crowd didn't seem to mind, they were having too much of a good time to notice.:cool:

7. rickbass

What can I say??? You guys know your audiences and if that's what gets them off, ya do it!

It might be a good thing to whip it out on the younger crowd and give `em a taste of tradition.

The hardest song to come up with, to me, would be what to end the night with. The way it was out on the streets around here, a logical choice might have been, "I Fought the Law" or "The Authority Song."

8. embellisher

I don't know why, but that is one of my all time favorite covers to play. Great song! We usually play it in the first or second set though.

9. rickbass

Jeff - Your guitarist must have every "Brite" control maxed for those chords! IMO, those chords "are" the song if you're doing the Bobby Fuller 4 version.

The Clash and The Stray Cats covered it well, too.

10. embellisher

We do it more like The Clash than Bobby Fuller Four, or maybe halfway between. But we don't set the guitars near as bright as the BF4 did.

11. rickbass

If your bass sounds close to as great as it does on the recordings of yours I've heard, that's all I would need!

IMO, your Clash"ish" rendition sounds like kind of a ballsy move on your part because you have so many "real oldies" in your set lists. I would think it keeps it more interesting for you as the bassist, since that "vintage" stuff is so guitar/vocal dominated.