Midnight train to Georgia, anyone else love this bassline?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by redsoxfan_1978, Aug 31, 2004.

1. redsoxfan_1978

Aug 26, 2004
    I think this is one of the best basslines ever laid down. It carries the whole song in my opinion. Everything on that track is a groove though. I think I read it was Bob Babbitt who played it. Just wondering if anyone else thinks it grooves :D
    I didnt find any mention of it here, so I thought to bring it up.
  2. I heard that song yesterday on the radio and it was definitely Bob Babbitt. I love the parts he plays on that song.

Read this:

My favorite part:
    As for “Midnight Train,” Bob laughs, ”If you’re a musician coming to Nashville, everybody asks for credits and reels of your work. So when I moved here I tried to recall everything I played on and put a list together. One producer took a look at my resume and said,”Shoot, you played on “Midnight Train to Georgia”? You don’t need no other credits!”
  3. Thanks! I know what I will be working on later today.
  4. emor

May 16, 2004
    Thank you for the link.
  5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I put it up there with one of the greatest groove lines of all time. The feel, the timing, that song is one of the reasons I play bass to this day 14 years after REALLY listening to that song.

I've played it in cover bands over the last few years, but I still can't do it as smooth as B.B. did it.
  6. My band has been tossing around the idea of hitting some "rarely done" and maybe even "obscure" covers. I think ya'll have just helped me pick one.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How weird to see this thought of as "obscure" - it was one of the most popular tunes ever, when I was growing up and never off the radio - one of my Mums' favourites!! :meh: