Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midnight train to Georgia, anyone else love this bassline?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by redsoxfan_1978, Aug 31, 2004.

1. redsoxfan_1978

redsoxfan_1978

Aug 26, 2004
    I think this is one of the best basslines ever laid down. It carries the whole song in my opinion. Everything on that track is a groove though. I think I read it was Bob Babbitt who played it. Just wondering if anyone else thinks it grooves :D
    I didnt find any mention of it here, so I thought to bring it up.

2. I heard that song yesterday on the radio and it was definitely Bob Babbitt. I love the parts he plays on that song.

Read this:
    http://www.bobbabbitt.com/midnight.htm

My favorite part:
    As for “Midnight Train,” Bob laughs, ”If you’re a musician coming to Nashville, everybody asks for credits and reels of your work. So when I moved here I tried to recall everything I played on and put a list together. One producer took a look at my resume and said,”Shoot, you played on “Midnight Train to Georgia”? You don’t need no other credits!”

3. Thanks! I know what I will be working on later today.

4. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Thank you for the link.

5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I put it up there with one of the greatest groove lines of all time. The feel, the timing, that song is one of the reasons I play bass to this day 14 years after REALLY listening to that song.

I've played it in cover bands over the last few years, but I still can't do it as smooth as B.B. did it.

6. My band has been tossing around the idea of hitting some "rarely done" and maybe even "obscure" covers. I think ya'll have just helped me pick one.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How weird to see this thought of as "obscure" - it was one of the most popular tunes ever, when I was growing up and never off the radio - one of my Mums' favourites!! :meh: