1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Midrange controls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robchorz, Dec 26, 2017.

1. robchorz

robchorz

Apr 7, 2011
    Lake Forest CA
    I have an amp that has two midrange knobs, mid high and mid low. Sometimes when I am at a studio I have to use one of their amps which has one midrange knob plus a mid frequency knob.

I know the sound I like when using the mid high and mid low. I don’t know how to translate the sound I like to an amp that has one mid and a frequency knob.

Can anyone help translate this simply to me? Thanks.

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not sure there is an accurate answer beyond just use your ears and adjust to your liking. A lot has to do with the frequency center points and Q of the EQ filters, the degree to which the EQ controls may or were designed to be interactive, etc.

The best advice I can give is to find out what frequency your high and low mids are centered at (and your low and high EQ controls as well). Once you know that information and based on how you typically have them set (assuming your amp is essentially neutral/flat voicing to begin with) you'll get a sense for how dialing those knobs up and down tends to affect the voicing relative to your sound goals. Then when you get an amp that has a choice of mid frequencies you can adjust it'll give you a place (in frequency selection) to start working to find your sweet spot on that amp.

The other approach with a sweepable (or semi-parametric) EQ control is to turn the level control fully clockwise or fully counter-clockwise and slowly rotate the frequency selector until you either dial in the extra tone you're looking for, or conversely hear the sound that is bothersome disappear. You now have the key frequency identified and can use the level control to fine tune you tone.

I'm sure others will have their own way of approaching this, but you asked for simple! ;)

3. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Something like this. To maybe understand it better, I'd look at how you have your amp mid knobs set. Do you have them both mostly turned up, mostly down, one up and one down, etc.? Now step back and think about the bigger picture of what the two knobs are doing together. About how much are they turned up overall, and about how much are you favoring one over the other? This is sort of how the studio (paramid) control works. The mid level knob is how much mids you want overall, and the mid frequency knob is how much you are favoring low mids, high mids, or both about the same.

Of course, this is totally dependent on both pieces of equipment, frequency ranges and cutoffs, etc. And the amp (and the room it's in) is likely going to sound different from the studio even if it had the same controls on it as the studio. If it were me I'd start with the studio controls flat and tweak my sound from there.

Al Kraft likes this.
  4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Good answers given above. And maybe mention the brand and model of that studio amp here on TB. Someone here will surely be able to tell you what the knob configuration is of that particular amp. And help you learn how to set it.
    Good luck.

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Bring your amp.

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Simply put: boost 'n sweep or cut 'n sweep to find the sweet spot.

Riis

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Bring a recording of "your sound" and play it for the engineer. He or she will help you achieve that sound with the studio gear. (But, be open minded to the possibility he might have some even better sounds up his sleeve.)

Or, bring your gear.