midrange driver to replace tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbass67, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. jbass67


    Nov 17, 2003
    i have a 2x10 4ohm cabinet with crappy tweeter that i'd like to replace with a 5" or 6" mid-driver. do i need an attenuator
    & crossover to connect it so i don't change the cabinet impedence. i don't want it lower than 4 ohms naturally. is there a kit that is available with set x-over points to make this task easier? any ideas or suggestions?
  2. BruceWane


    Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You will need a crossover for any midrange or tweeter in a bass cab in order to keep low frequencies out of that driver. Feeding tones into a mid or tweet that are way below what they can reproduce tends to blow them very quickly.

    An attenuator isn't required, but they're nice to have and they only cost a couple of dollars.

    You might be interested in this thread....

    ....it sounds like you're in much the same situation.