Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midrange EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PollyBass, Nov 17, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I didn't know where to put this,,, i guess it's an effect. I want a eq where i can screw around with every little detail, but more importently the midrange. LOTS OF IT. what are some good eq's that would let me screw with my midrange? i love midrange,,,, just not the very middle of it. i know, weird. i like everything up to around 600,,,,,,, and everything above that. Anyone?

2. Check out some parametric eq's for example the fairly cheap behringer peq2200

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    someone explain "parametric"

4. with a parametric eq you can choose center frequency and bandwith/Q of one or more eq bands

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thats all it means? like the 7 band eq on my head is "parametric"??????

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Each filter on an EQ affects a band around the center frequency (the one the slider or knob is marked with). On a graphic EQ both that center frequency and the band width are fixed. On a parametric EQ you can dial in the center frequency, the band width and the boost/cut, so you can choose how wide or narrow each filter should be, for overall or for selective changes to your sound.

---

This is an explanation I just stole from The Bottom Line. The Rane pictures are my additions as examples.

> 3) What is the difference between a graphic and a parametric equalizer?

GRAPHIC EQ: it's the more familiar one, the kind with the row of little sliders. Each slider controls its own segment, or "band", of the frequency spectrum, left to right = low to high. These EQ's are good for contouring your overall sound.
    [​IMG]

PARAMETRIC EQ: This kind has knobs. For each "band" there are at least two knobs. The first knob chooses an exact frequency, and the second knob boosts or cuts it. Sometimes there is a third knob which controls bandwidth, i.e. how narrow or wide the slice of the sound pie it is that you want to eat, I mean alter. Parametrics EQ's are good for accuracy in dealing with specific problem frequencies, like a ringing or clicking that you want to get rid of. Or bring out.
    [​IMG]

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    So, even if the graphic eq looks like it would do more to your sound, it really doesnt do as much as a parametric? or do they do two diffrent things?

8. With a parametric, you have almost complete control of your sound with one unit. Harder to use, but it *does* more

9. The EQ on your head is almost certainly a graphic equalizer - you have a bunch of sliders/knobs that boost or cut a predefined frequency, with a predefined bandwidth - you only adjust the Q, which the amount of boost or cut.

A parametric equalizer gives you control over all of these things - the Q (or the amount of boost/cut), the center frequency, and the bandwidth - the bandwidth defines the slope of the boost/cut, which effects the frequencies around the center frequency you've chosen.

Let's say, for example you wanted to boost 1000 hz by 6DB, with a bandwidth of 400hz. 800hz would be flat. 900hz would be +3db. 1000hz would be +6db. 1100hz would be +3db, and 1200hz would be flat again. If you increased the bandwidth to 800hz, 600hz would be flat, 700hz would be +1.5db, 800hz would be +3db, 900hz would be +4.5db, 1000hz would be +6db, 1100hz would be +4.5db, 1200hz would be +3db, 1300hz would be +1.5db, and 1400hz would be flat.

If you set the center frequency to +12db in this example, all those DB numbers would simply double.

I hope this helps you draw a picture in your mind of how this works, I'm not particularly good at explaining this stuff...

Anyway, a four band parametric EQ would allow you to boost/cut three different bands of frequencies as much as you like, with whatever slope you like.

--jeff

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    No - your seven band EQ gives you a number of predefined slices of the frequency spectrum - set frequencies and also the width of the slices.

The next step up (in terms of control) is semi-parametric. Here you can pick the frequency but the width is fixed. For example, it might be that if you boost 250Hz by 6dB, you also boost 230Hz and 270Hz by 3dB and 210Hz and 290Hz by 1dB. Move the centre down to 230Hz and you displace the other values but the shape of the curve stays the same:

230   270

210         290

210   250

190         270

A fully parametric EQ also lets you adjust the shape of the curve, from being a very narrow band (good for notching out feedback prone frequencies without affecting the rest of the sound) or affecting a wide range of the spectrum.

One thing to remember is that although more control seems like a good idea, it will take that much longer to tune a complex EQ - that's why many people are quite happy with with a simple multiband EQ or even just bass and treble controls for a real-life playing situation (of course, it's a different set of considerations if you're meant to be running the sound desk instead of concentrating on grooving basslines).

Hope that helps (and isn't too incorrect ;) )

Wulf

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Q = bandwidth, not boost/cut.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thank you guys so much, i just didn't understand it. now i need,,, i must have.... a parametric EQ. any sugjestions? how much they run?

13. you can get the behringer 5-band parametric eq i mentioned in my first post for less than $100 even though it's a rackmount unit

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ha - this made my day !! :D It sort of sums up my feelings about the effects forum! ;)

15. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Pollybass -

I use the Raven-Labs True Blue EQ. It is a semi-parametric that was specifically designed for bass. A couple of interesting features are that cuts have narrower Q than boosts. The cuts are designed for notch filtering, the boosts for tone shaping. Also, the filtered signal runs in parallel with the original signal, so there is little or no phase shift. (You don't loose punch or get weird boxy/hollow sounds like some eqs.) The result is very musical. Downside is that it is about 1/3 rack wide and a little over 1U in height.

16. oops
    need more sleep!

Thanks for the correction, Anders.

--jeff

17. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Polly, the Behringer mentioned above (which is incidentally in MY rack) is at all the big mail order houses for $79.99. I got mine around five months ago for $100.

The cool thing about it is that the 5 bands actually overlap quite a bit, so you can get three bands into the midrange -- where YOU want 'em. For example, the Boss 7-band bass EQ has sliders at 400, 500, and 800, and then at 2k. I personally hate the sound of 400, so that slider is wasted for me. And, what if i happen to like 1200 Hz? With a parametric, I can MOVE that to something that pleases me more.

What I like most about the parametric is that you can dial in a tone using the frequncy knob. If the sound is thin, sometimes just "turning up the bass" doesn't sound good. But if you can mess with the FREQUENCY, you have a much better chance of finding a pleasing sound.

Another nice thing about the Behringer in particular is that each band has an on/off pushbutton. So in switching between tones (as I do going from fretted to fretless), I can just remove a band's effect, but have it set at the right level when it's time to use it again.

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh god.... i'm so getting this baby......and not that pricy..... mids,,,parametric........ MUST HAVE. I'm gonna get it after i take my amp to the shop tomorrow, depends on how much money i have left if i can get it......Drooooolllllll. I love new tools.......

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego