Midrange frequency?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonny P, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Jonny P

Jonny P

Jun 5, 2002
    I would like to hear from bassists out there regarding what midrange frequencies on their amp they find most helpful to either turn down or turn up. I realize it's subjective depending on the total set-up but where are frequencies where you would start experimenting. Thanks,
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    There are four very important frequencies in my experience. One would be the 150-200 Hz range, which is the "mud" in many basses. Then, the 600-700 Hz area, which can add "presence". Then, the 1.5 kHz area, which is where a lot of the string noise is. And finally, the 6 kHz range, which can be very important, especially if you're a slapper. You can emphasize or de-emphasize those ranges, depending on the bass, and usually get the sound you want. The rest is mainly the "basic character" of the instrument, IMO, and you probably don't want to change that too much. :)
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    agreed, depends on the bass. My slap sound depends on enough presence in the 30-800hz range to support the fundamental, with a scoop in the 2-3khz range. Bite seems to be in the 5-6 khz range which I usually boost. I find the "contour" switch on many amps dosen't "notch" enough for me as I don't want to cut wide swathes of freqs in my slap tone, and I usually just undo those previously mentioned freq adjustments to get my fingerstyle tone back while sometimes boosting around 800hz.
  5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    My slap sound depends on a band cut with a centre of about 800 Hz with nice splopey contours. Everything else is from there is taste and how pedantic I am feeling on the night.