1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Midrange speaker cabinet suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rheohead, Aug 25, 2012.

1. I've recently purchased Trace Elliot AH350X. It came with a 4X10 cab. The amp has a two outputs. One channel is full-range and the other is 150W for the high range with everything below 250Hz rolled-off.

What I'd like to know is if there are any small-ish, off-the-shelf cabs that would lend themselves to being essentially a midrange cab. They would have to be no less than 8 ohms and be able to handle at least the 150W. The smaller, the better.

I only play flatwound strings on all my basses so I don't make much noise above 5 or 6 KHz so a tweeter is not really essential.

I would love something like a couple of 6.5" speakers in a low-profile box but I think I'm getting into custom speaker box territory.

Any suggestions?

2. One suggestion is the much-maligned Eminence Delta 10B.
    SpeakerHardware had these at fire-sale prices a short time back, so I picked up four.

Delta 10s used to be common fare in many bass cabs, until it become obvious they really suck at low bass.
    However, they are good for 100% power above 250 Hz.
    Two wired in parallel is a crossover-friendly 8-ohm load and makes 104 SPL at 1w/1m in 1.32 cubic feet.

As of this writing, I have a project in-work for a pair of 2x10B+SST1 horn using the 1.6K 2-way crossover.
    This makes for a compact 8-ohm PA cabinet.

An alternative that makes less noise in a smaller box is a pair of Alpha 6C wired in series.
    Used above 250 Hz, they will take 100% rated input power.
    Box volume is tiny at 0.19 cubic feet, each.
    The RTA shows a nice flat response from 200~5,000.

3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just about any guitar cab with tens or a twelve should get the job done. Avatar, Carvin, plenty of others.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Closed back!
    I used to use a Polytone Minibrute.
    Had to turn it down to match bass rig.

However, a good bass rig will give you the correct kinda mids. They must have power and punch. This isn't a theoretical exercise where you've found the right frequencies.

5. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Check out Parts Express, pg.224, they have a Selenium mid horn driver, rated at 150w w/500hz x-over, 200w w/1k x-over. I've matched that with two of Greenboys' 15subs. I built the mid cab to the same width/depth dimensions as the subs, so they'll fit together as a single unit. The mid cab is only 6" tall,considering the Eminence horn I selected to go with the driver, that's about as low profile as you can get. Good luck

6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Did you use greenboy's CBG crossover or roll your own?

7. Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I never really considered a guitar amp.

4-stringB, I really like the idea of having a midrange cab that's only 6" tall. I guess what I'm looking for is a box to mimic the Trace Elliot Bright Box. That and I've got that extra 150W amp sitting there doing nothing.

It looks like it would be worth my time building my own box. Thanks again!

8. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Right now, I'm Biamping, using a PV IPR 1600 on the subs, and a 25w PV tube amp driving the horn. Even just 25w is damn loud. Ultimately, I intend to add the 6NM410 pair in a separate cab, with the fEARful stock x-over...